Author Topic: I'm sort of related to someone who's going to kill us all  (Read 868 times)

Offline Erin

• http://tusker.org/gallery/Wedding
I'm sort of related to someone who's going to kill us all
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:04:19 PM »
My Godfather's nephew Robert de Crespigny is involved with trying to build Nuclear Reactors to create power in Australia. Yay! seriously!!! this is insane. Let's hope the people of Australia stand up and say no when they launch the referendums they're talking about holding. Well done SA for having a reasonably intelligent Premier who has stated that they're not getting into SA on his watch.

Maybe I should ask whether Uncle Peter ever advises his nephew on business!!! For all I know, he's all for it too. But they did sell up their business and fancy house in Melbourne to buy a farm and start an Alpaca stud... That makes me think that they probably have a conscience....  

Bid to build nuclear power plant in SA
GEORGE LEKAKIS, CAMERON ENGLAND

February 27, 2007 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

THREE of Australia's richest men have formed a private company to set up the first nuclear power plant in the country, with South Australia and Victoria identified as potential locations.
Former SA Economic Development Board chairman Robert de Crespigny and business identities Hugh Morgan and Ron Walker are the key shareholders of a company called Australian Nuclear Energy Pty Ltd.

Mr Morgan, the former head of previous Olympic Dam uranium mine owner Western Mining, is chairman of the venture and owns 20 per cent of the company.

Mr de Crespigny and his close friend Mr Walker each hold a 40 per cent stake in the business.

The trio are examining the viability of setting up a nuclear plant at sites in South Australia or Victoria. A source close to the business partners told The Advertiser the company had raised its plans with the Federal Government and the Rann and Bracks governments.

The company is also talking to the U.S.-based General Electric company which is the world's largest supplier of nuclear generation equipment.

"The company was formed to investigate the feasibility of setting up a nuclear plant in Victoria," the source said.

"Informal discussions have been held with the Federal Government and the South Australian and Victorian state governments."

But Premier Mike Rann last night said he had not heard of the company and would not consider its proposal.

Body: "If they ever try to see me, they will be shown the door," he said.
The high-powered business push for a nuclear plant comes at a sensitive time for the Federal Government as it examines the recommendations of the Switkowski report.

Earlier this month the state Labor premiers warned the Howard Government it should temper its support for nuclear power generation.

"The (premiers) call on the Prime Minister to provide assurances that federal powers will not be used to impose nuclear power stations or waste dumps on the states and territories," the premiers said on February 8.

Mr Rann ruled out nuclear power at the time. "A nuclear power station costing a couple of billion dollars would not be either financially or economically viable given our population size," he said.

The Rann Government successfully fought off a Federal Government bid to place a low-level radioactive waste dump in the state's Outback in 2004.

The de Crespigny proposal could put Mr Rann in a difficult political position, with the former EDB boss a key architect of bureaucratic and funding changes driving a mining exploration boom. He was also a member of the State Government Cabinet executive committee.

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks vowed in December to put any proposal for a nuclear plant to a referendum.

In December the Federal Government's expert review of the potential for nuclear power generation headed by former Telstra chief Ziggy Switkowski, recommended Australia could have 25 nuclear plants by 2050.

Dr Switkowski said the first reactor could be operating within 10 years.

A study published last month by the Australia Institute think-tank identified the South-East, the upper Spencer Gulf and Port Adelaide as potential nuclear energy plant sites.South Australia has been the epicentre of a uranium exploration boom in Australia, with more than 50 companies now searching for uranium ore in the state.

Australia's first nuclear reactor, at Lucas Heights near Sydney, was shut down last month after 50 years as an experimental facility.

The Lucas Heights site does not generate power and the decommissioned reactor will be replaced at a cost of $350 million this year.
I lub j00

One day, when he was naughty. Mr Bunnsy looked over the hedge into Farmer Fred's field and it was full of fresh green lettuces. Mr Bunnsy, however, was not full of lettuces. This did not seem fair.

Offline FoiD

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:12:16 PM »
Bla bla bla.
Nuclear power is fairly safe, and clean.

How many actual nuclear disasters have tere been?
Save the world... have ur kids spayed or neutered!

Wow, that was incrediblt rude, even by your standards.
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill... Oh and send me money
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Erin

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
not so much the disasters... even just the crap hat's produced as waste from reactors. i personally would rather take advantage of a combination of renewable natural resources like sun, wind and wave power
I lub j00

One day, when he was naughty. Mr Bunnsy looked over the hedge into Farmer Fred's field and it was full of fresh green lettuces. Mr Bunnsy, however, was not full of lettuces. This did not seem fair.

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 01:09:24 PM »
Personally I think nuclear energy is the way to go. It's safe, and relatively clean. I'm definately all for dumping the waste in the middle of the SA desert. That place is a barren wasteland filled with radioactive Uranium anyway. May as well do something useful with it.

Nuclear powerplants might actually be able to meet our power needs too as opposed to the giant bong power plant that Erin and her Green hippy friends want to build!
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Kat

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »
Plus, nuclear energy is just plain cooler than all that hippy sun shit.  ;)
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline rille

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
I think nuclear energy should be avoided if possible.
 ...as long as you don't come up with something worse...
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:27 PM »
Like all our coal power plants? Those things are nasty!

Honestly, why should I hate nucular energy again? Besides the waste, because I honestly have no problem filling a barren lifeless wasteland of a desert filled with radioactive material with even more radioactive materials. Convince me Erin and my vote is yours!
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Thin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:54:11 PM »
Erin,
I respect your opinion with regards to nuclear power, but I feel compelled to let you know that it seems rather backwards. in all honesty I believe that if anything is going to kill us all its going to be our nations continued use of coal for power.
I am all for uranium mining and uranium dumping in South Australia;
1) We have the safest environment for it (low earthquake activity)
2) The SA outback is basically desert with low tourist or farming capability
3) most of it was ALREADY NUKED by the maralinga atomic testing done here in the 1950's by the british.

We are in desperate need of a new energy source, coal is becoming expensive (thank you china) and rather stupid with the current views on climate change. Brownouts and powerfailures are becoming a common feature of Australian summers.

Renewable energy is a fantastic dream, but completely unfeasible in practice. the combined power output of SA's 300 windmills is negligable comared to that of our coal plants.

I'm very glad that the Australian High Court has a continued progressive move of making sure that decisions like this are Federal. The decision in 2004 was made by a court that is considerably more left than our current one. The Industrial relations challenge failed, and I cant see why this one will also go down in flames. So in the end, our premier, mr Rann wont get the opportunity to "show them the door" because he wont get a say at all :)

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:57:43 PM »
Won't somebody please think of the radioactive children!

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »
I don't see the problem with nuclear power, it's really the best alternative we've got at the moment.

Yes, it's bad in the long run because the waste products have halflives of a gazillion years or something, but what's the big fucking problem? Bury it in a safe place, keep it safe for as long as you keep it there. If technological progress keeps going, in 500 years we may be able to slam all that shit onto a couple of hundred space ships and toss it into the sun or dump it on Venus or something. What's the sun going to do about that? Go nova on us?

But yes, more environmentally safe alternatives are good. At the moment, however, they're too costly and produce too little energy. Nuclear power - if built in a non-Soviet fashion - is pretty damn safe. Unless the safety inspectors are drunkards or something, like the ones we have here at the moment. Sweden's going to be investigated by the IAEA. It's us and Iran now. George's probably going to invade us to be on the safe side.
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline Rick

• Omg hi 2 U.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »
Nuclear power is the way to go, because, honestly, we're running out of shit to burn, and our nuclear fuels will last another century or two.
Also, we are making some advances towards making nuclear fusion a viable alternative, and once that takes off, we ought to be better off yet.
Wind and solar energy are not yet fit to take the demands of our economies, and even water power is being frowned upon these days.
The simplest thing is to work with n-dimensional Minkowski spacetime.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 12:12:37 AM »
I'm for nuclear power, too, but not at the expense of equally developing renewable energy.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21299248-5006301,00.html
From what I know of the place, it'd improve it. ;)

And as you were saying, Thin:
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21299255-5006301,00.html
Media Man Mike!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 05:57:55 AM »
He's a hippy! Get him!

Offline Erin

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 06:32:47 AM »
i don't really care much for coal power either. but i think we have some amazing resources worth investigating like wave power and all the other "hippie" choices. it'd be nice to actually give them a proper go before launching right into the nuclear thing.
I lub j00

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 06:42:34 AM »
:(
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Nasojiti

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »
Man, and the dude under my bed keeps trying to stab me too! He'll get you once he gets me. Of course, I'm just assuming it's a man.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline MoP

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
There's a few problems with most renewable energy (hydro is excluded) - they are expensive, unreliable, and generally terribly inefficient. Take solar for example - you would need an array the size of Australia to power Sydney. What happens if the wind stops blowing? That's not to say renewables shouldn't be part of the solution - they should, but they are only viable as peak load generation at the moment.

Nuclear is also more expensive than coal or gas generation, but less so than renewables - however, it comes with its own set of problems (and I'm not really refering to what to do with the waste - that's pretty easy, bury it somewhere out in the middle of Australia). To have a nuclear energy industry you need expertise and that takes time to build up. Australia currently has very little expertise so it is going to be a rather long time before we see a commercial nuclear reactor feeding electricity into the grid. The current nuclear generators also consume more water than current coal fired stations, which is obviously a wee bit of a problem for alot of Australia at the moment. However, I did see a story on an experimental reactor that used hydrogen or helium (can't remember which) as the coolant and it was also meltdown proof - the uranium was packed into spheres and as the coolant was switched off (they actually did this test!) the reaction automatically slowed down and prevented a meltdown.

Anyway, the solution for Australia can't simply be pegged as all renewables, and nuclear certainly isn't the great saviour either - what we require is the combination of a number of methods (such as carbon sequestration and other clean coal technologies combined with a greater use of renewables and eventually nuclear) to clamp down on emissions.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
What you need is someone strong to use you...
...like me

Opiate - Tool

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »
Lies!

Offline Mordeth

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
we just need to kill a couple of billion people, preferably in the nations that are using up the most energy.. so let's nuke the Us, china and india.. then the rest of us can have a massive party to decide what to do with all our newfound resources.
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Nuada

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »
Smoke 'em
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline Mordeth

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 11:26:07 PM »
with all the americans being dead and unable to foist their political and moral views on the world that might just be an option Nuada

death to the americans!
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 12:03:50 AM »
I don't think you're thinking it through enough, MoP. Power from the trees is obviously the only way to go.

Meanwhile, Tim Flannery was talking about all this stuff last night:
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/podcast/thursday.htm
Quote from: Mordeth
with all the americans being dead and unable to foist their political and moral views on the world that might just be an option Nuada

death to the americans!
+1
:lurk:
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline MoP

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
Maybe you're right Julie, maybe you're right...

(You're not but I don't really like coming out and saying that to people's faces :P )
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
What you need is someone strong to use you...
...like me

Opiate - Tool

Offline Erin

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »
maybe we ought to gather up all of the fat people in the world (listen to any news cast and hear how the weight of the world population is exploding) and put them on a rotating treadmill arrangement that will drive turbines to create energy..

EUREKA!!!

By GeorgeandTim I think I've got it!!!!!!!

we can reduce the waistlines of the world and produce enough energy to power Al Gore's Ranch!!!
I lub j00

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »
Quote from: MoP
Maybe you're right Julie, maybe you're right...

(You're not but I don't really like coming out and saying that to people's faces :P )
:lol:

;)
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw