Author Topic: Selective taxing  (Read 893 times)

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Selective taxing
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:53:35 AM »
I was just wondering - after reading this, what about government policies that you really don't agree with? I mean, they're there, wasting (from your point of view) your money on stuff you don't agree with, might not have voted for, and think is essentially a waste of time.

For example, I bet Soma disagrees with taxes disappearing into the drug enforcement, and the resident anti-war'ers are against supporting their country's DoD.

So what if you had a choice over a percentage of your tax, as to what area it went to? Say, out of 50%, you'd allocate 10% to furthering telecommunications infrastructure, 10% to road maintenance, 5% to foreign aid, 10% to... anyway, you probably get the picture.

I think this idea has been bouncing around in my head for a little while (I might have even brought it up before), and I'm not sure if I've heard of or read it somewhere or not...
Thoughts?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Thin

Selective taxing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:03:09 AM »
Go back to programming, you nub. :p

Offline The new Olli (with hair)

Selective taxing
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
How could you guarantee that programs that may not seem important to most people (military spending) continue to get the appropriate support?
Hunchback: Repent

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Selective taxing
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:10:06 AM »
You get to choose only a certain amount? All programs get ranked in terms of spending and what the government wants to support?

Quote from: Thin Spirits
Go back to programming, you nub. :p
Yeah, thanks Thin. No worries.
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline AshtrayMonument

Selective taxing
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »
Quote from: Mythrandir
How could you guarantee that programs that may not seem important to most people (military spending) continue to get the appropriate support?
Only hippies aren't into military spending, and hippies aren't exactly the biggest contributers to a country's tax income.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Soma

Selective taxing
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
They should just legalise weed and ecstasy, then we wouldn't have to pay taxes at all :P
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Offline Devlyn, the special edition

• http://www.shiningsource.net
Selective taxing
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 09:02:47 AM »
Sounds ridiculous to me in its current form. Who would ever want to pay taxes for hiring government officials to do governmental paperwork? :P
First and Proudest Member of the Unmelodramatic Music Fundamentalists Association!
blehg, a blog!

Offline Thin

Selective taxing
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »
If I was in power I would be spending the governments money towards an industry I have my money invested in.

Selective taxing
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »
Well then canada is full o fhippies because military spending is near the bottom of every poll on how to spend cash.

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Nuada

Selective taxing
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
Yeah well why waste the money?  You guys always seem to be on the gooey end of blue on blue action :P
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline Soma

Selective taxing
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 03:29:04 PM »
We should just go back to bartering and solving problems with swords

back to the good ol days when people still had manners, and did constructive things with their leisure time like push a metal wheel along with a stick
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Selective taxing
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
If you gave someone a choice between more funding for an army that never seems to fight anyone and more social programs/roads/haircuts for the homeless  etc they will always pick what can benefit them now.

But when it's time for the fucking death-killing, who's going to do it? That homeless guy with the fashionable bob????

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
Selective taxing
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 06:25:47 AM »
Just not enough trust, people always assume if they stop their military spending then their neighbouring countries will take advantage and invade.

This is why more funding should be diverted towards the SETI program.  Think how humanity will be united when we realise there are other things to kill and defend against in the universe other than ourselves!
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline AshtrayMonument

Selective taxing
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 06:49:23 AM »
Perhaps we need some enterprising NASA executives to stage an "alien" attack on the next shuttle launch or something. In the interests of world peace. We could give them a Nobel prize for peace when the hoax comes to light a few years later.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Selective taxing
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »
If I was in power I would be spending the governments money towards an industry I have my money invested in.
That's brilliant, Senator Santoro... :-P
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Thin

Selective taxing
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 02:03:22 AM »
Quote from: Auryn
Just not enough trust, people always assume if they stop their military spending then their neighbouring countries will take advantage and invade.
Thats because throughout history when one country has suddenly realised it's a lot bigger and stronger than one of its neighbours the general consensus on borders seems to change. While we still live in a realist political world we will still have military spending.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
Selective taxing
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »
Thats because throughout history when one country has suddenly realised it's a lot bigger and stronger than one of its neighbours the general consensus on borders seems to change. While we still live in a realist political world we will still have military spending.
[mono][size=46]OH REALLY?![/size][/mono]

Selective taxing
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »
Stop killing threads.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
Selective taxing
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
It's hard to write thought-provoking replies to My First Bumper Book of International Politics.

Selective taxing
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 11:57:27 AM »
Nobody said work was easy. That's why it's work and not happy fun times with Julius.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Selective taxing
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
You're all just jealous. :(
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Thin

Selective taxing
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 02:07:08 AM »
It's hard to write thought-provoking replies to My First Bumper Book of International Politics.
I want that textbook. :p

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Selective taxing
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »
You've forgotton what your first textbook's name was? :/
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Thin

Selective taxing
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »
It wasn't called that. it was something more mundane like "The globalisation of World Politics" or "Australian Politics".

Now I get more exciting books like "Civil and Criminal Procedure for Australian Lawyers". It comes in vomit green.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Selective taxing
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 09:16:35 AM »
So do you have any of your own opinions, or are they all just out of the textbooks?

:D
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw