Author Topic: So... Potter 7 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)  (Read 441 times)

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
So... Potter 7 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »
HERE BE SPOILERS, FREAKS! YOU SAW IT IN THE THREAD TITLE, SO DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT!

I just finished it and I must say that it's a terribly uneven book. One can almost tell at which point the ending Rowling had always envisioned truly begins (SPOILER! It's when Snape dies...)

Things I really didn't like:

* The whole Deathly Hallows bit feels tacked on as hell.
* The whole story up until Snape's death is so uneven. The bit at Grimgott's was boring, all those discussions in the tent were boring and Harry was incredibly OotP-ish for a long time there.
* Snape - Death by Nagini? Come now...
* Fred, Lupin and Tonks kick the bucket? Not liking it one bit. If Percy had died, it would have made more sense and ending the story with another little kid being orphaned is just bad taste.
* Voldemort died like a fucking pussy!

Things I liked:

* Yay, everything worked out for the best in the epilogue. I'm a sucker for happy endings of that sort.
* Snape's pensieve moments. Probably the best chapter in the entire series.
* "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
* Dumbledore being shown as not the nice, friendly old boring geezer, but more of a complex character.
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 04:58:28 AM »
Quote from: Genome

* The whole story up until Snape's death is so uneven. The bit at Grimgott's was boring, all those discussions in the tent were boring and Harry was incredibly OotP-ish for a long time there.
* Fred, Lupin and Tonks kick the bucket? Not liking it one bit. If Percy had died, it would have made more sense and ending the story with another little kid being orphaned is just bad taste.
1. Yeah. Mad-Eye could see through the bloody Invisibility Cloak, for crying out loud. Mind you, Dumbledore could "see" him too, I think. But I'm not sure he saw him, as much as was aware he was around.
2. Yeah. It seemed she spent chapters on him jumping round the place with that tent - while it was a long time they spent doing it, it was boring reading about it.
3. No commment...
4. Yeah. Not those three! Percy should've carked it.
5. Meh. There wasn't really anyone that could stand up to him though anymore, was there? He had to get killed somehow...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »
Even fans of Harry Potter thinks the books suck?
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Soma

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
So which of the main characters end up dead??
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Offline Aimless

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Offline Cray

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:43 PM »
Suspended error :(

So.
i actually wept at dobbys death.
vBulletin Message
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Offline Soma

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 05:51:52 AM »
I'm not sure about the books, but in the movies dobby is the Harry Potter equivalent of fucking Jar Jar Binx
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Offline Dax

• http://www.myspace.com/daxlet
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 08:09:24 AM »
Quote from: Genome

Things I liked:

* Yay, everything worked out for the best in the epilogue. I'm a sucker for happy endings of that sort.
* Snape's pensieve moments. Probably the best chapter in the entire series.
* "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
* Dumbledore being shown as not the nice, friendly old boring geezer, but more of a complex character.
-  eh... all of her books have their plot driving devices...
-  I for the most part was in the book page for page, but yeah, the parts in the tent tended to get on my nerves...
-  Yeah, I thought Snape should've put up more of a fight...
-  Hedwig and Dobby kicked the bucket too!  I was a lot more upset by them...  I mean, I love the Lupins and all, but what kind of irresponsible parents leave their newborn to volunteer for battle?  At most they should be helping to coordinate escapes.
-  Tom Riddle did kind of lose his bad-ass mysterious evil dude there towards the end...

-  I too am a sucker for a happy ending.  I was thrilled by how love triumphed over all
-  Snape's memories were amazing.  So was the bit where Potter and Dumbledore hugged it out
-  I actually wanted to see her kick serious ass and not have to be rescued mid-duel
-  HE was still a nice friendly geezer, but just one who kept secrets for the greater good...  it was his first big, I'm really Gandalf moment....

My big question is, what happened to Dolores Umbridge????

dax, who gobbled this book up....
One time, I saw a shark bite a whale.

Offline nunya

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:43:49 AM »
Someone put this precis up on another site i frequent - made me laugh, thought i'd pass it on.

Just finished to beek on the weekend - was hard to have my head in the sand for so long to avoid any spoilers (thought I'd stumbled into one when Nuada posted that Hermonie got killed - got me a good one there).

I enjoyed the book, nothing really annoyed me too much, was a good tale. The middle of the book got a bit boring but considering that they spent 80-90% of the timeline of book 7 on the run in the tent frustrated and bored, she did a reasonable job portraying it. Glossing over this period in a chapter would have annoyed me.

Nice touch that Snape was a good guy in the end, with the power and commitment of his love for Harry's mum making him one of Voldemorts greatest enemy's. Fucking lucky that Harry happened to be hiding in the tunnel when Snape copped it, otherwise the whole thing would have been for naught.

anyway here is the precis:
---------------------------------------------

Hedwig the owl - gets pwn nice and early
George loses an ear in a fight with snape
Mad-eye - pwned

Voldemort pwns the Ministry of Magic, Imperio's everyone important
Snape gets made Headmaser of Hogwarts

Harry Ron and Hermoine go into hiding / finding and destroy the Horocruxes and waste 200 pages having domestics

Ron pwns Hermoine in the butt, Harry doesn't care cos he pwns ron's sister

Lupin and tonks have a baby, Harry gets made godfather - how original

The trio have a few close calls and destroy 5 of the 6 Horocruxes

Voldemort attacks Hogwarts

epic battle
Fred - pwned
Lupin - pwned
Tonks - pwned

Molly pwns Bellatrix and also calls her a bitch for attacking her daughter.

Harry surrenders to Voldy, gets pwned by Avada Kedavra, has a chat to dumdbledor, survives based on a technicality

Neville chops off the head off Voldemort's snake with the sword of godric griffyndor

Harry ressurects and pwn's Voldemort

Harry knocks up Ron's sister, Ron does the same to Hermoine.

Harry and Ron grow moustaches and tell crappy dad jokes

Turns out snape was a good guy who wanted to bone harrys mum and killing dumbledor was part of the master plan
I am not smart enough to do everything
But i'm dumb enough to try anything.

Offline Nuada

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 05:39:23 AM »
Glad to be of sevice Man :)
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline nunya

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:56:57 AM »
yeah i was like "FFS WTF did you do that for!!!!" and i was going to have a whinge but then i figured that if you were throwing out a fakey then I would:
1. look like at total dick and
2. have a real spoiler on my hands.

Even right up to the end of the book I was waiting for Hermoine  to get snotted :D.     lol me=pwnt.
I am not smart enough to do everything
But i'm dumb enough to try anything.

Offline Nuada

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »
Please understand that after Genome's spoiler for Transformers I felt the need to lash out and as I've spent the last few years of my life listening to potter fans telling me How I HAVE to read these books, this seemed the best way to do it :)
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 06:34:06 AM »
Worst

Harry Potter

Book

EVER

I was strangely unable to put it down and read it in a day between dishes and kids and chores and laundry and web surfin... and yet I was very pissed off about the entire mess.

I have always been a huge Harry Potter fan, and mind you we all know Rowling is a shit writer and all - but it's a dirty filthy guilty pleasure for me. With the past few books, the writing has taken a huge decline, and I’m unsure if it is because her creativity is drained or the money makers are heavily editing her books to suit upcoming movies.

Harry and everyone had zero personality the final book. They reminded me of animated corpses. The middle drug on, the deaths of the characters were written without the writer even showing a pulse. The little purgatory bit on the bridge was soooo predictable and yet left me pretty damn confused, and the ending was so anti-climatic that I was left scratching my head. The 19 years later dealio was like a bad short story written by a 7th grader.

I told my Tim it was like the book had multiple Scooby Doo endings with one big final Scooby Doo ending at the finale to toss all the facts together so you knew what the hell was going on. You know, where the the kids go on to explain how and why Crazy Psycho Killer it actually farmer Jenkins and here are the 50 reasons why that weren’t even covered in the cartoon without any real legit basis for their claims (you know - making it all up as they go along.)

Offline Cray

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
Quote from: Cray
Suspended error :(

So.
i actually wept at dobbys death.
what...dobby died?

What is wrong with my memory :S
vBulletin Message
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.