Author Topic: Device wakes man with severe brain injuries  (Read 244 times)

Offline Olli

Device wakes man with severe brain injuries
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »
A man with severe brain injuries who spent six years in a near-vegetative state can now chew his food, watch a movie and talk with family thanks to a brain pacemaker that may change the way such patients are treated, U.S. researchers said on Wednesday.

The 38-year-old man is the first person in a minimally conscious state to be treated with deep-brain stimulation, a treatment that uses a pacemaker and two electrodes to send impulses into a part of the brain regulating consciousness.
Source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070801/tts-uk-brain-stimulation-a8bf950.html

Pretty awesome!!!
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

Offline Mordeth

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:48:44 PM »
hah!

I wonder if the parents of terry schiavo could sue her husband now for pulling the plug
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Soma

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:35:12 PM »
Saw this on the news the other day... pretty awes, hopefully we have the technology to make me into a cyborg before my body deteriorates beyond repair

Doubt I'll have the money for it though :( ...guess I'll have to volunteer to be a guinea pig

Also six years in a vegetative state, unable to communicate with people... surely that guy would have to be pretty insane by now!!
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Offline Olli

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
Quote from: Soma
Also six years in a vegetative state, unable to communicate with people... surely that guy would have to be pretty insane by now!!
Well, if you're barely conscious you probably won't notice that nobody communicates with you.
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

Offline Deus

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 07:51:56 PM »
Quote from: Mordeth
hah!

I wonder if the parents of terry schiavo could sue her husband now for pulling the plug
Near vegetative state is not the same as permanent vegetative state, which was what Terry Schiavo was suffering from. Actually from what I can gather they tried something similar to this to Terry Schiavo and it didn't work...
Hong's 1st law:  "It's only the other people who are munchkins"
Hong's 2nd law: "Thinking too hard about fantasy is bad"
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline Soma

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:52:16 AM »
Quote from: Olli
Quote from: Soma
Well, if you're barely conscious you probably won't notice that nobody communicates with you.
heh, well waking up 6 years in the future would probably be pretty shocking too :P
Pimps don't commit suicide!