Author Topic: Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 163 times)

Offline rille

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:04:20 PM »
I tried the english version a bit last night.

It's pretty much like a mix of Z:WW (same graphics style) and Z:LTP (very much like a 2d game in 3d). The interface is pretty good and pretty well integrated into the game. You can write down secerets on your map so you know were to return once you got the right stuff. One example is how you have to find all memory stones on a map and mark them just to find the common intersection point of the lines between these which leads to a hidden room. Even the simpliest puzzles is refreshing when you get to do it in a new way. Sometimes you have to make sounds into the mic and scratch on the screen to do something which is a nice interaction in the game because it makes you wakeup a bit. The player is controled with the stylus. The idea works pretty well but I find it slightly annoying that there is no "normlal control" option and my hands gets tired if I hold the DS in some ways. The dungeons are pretty straight foward. Maybe a bit too easy because you get the full map from the start but its otherwise a more difficult game than Z:TP and the bosses seems slightkly harder to beat. The boat mode, that was so annoying in Z:WW, is slightly better in this game, you plot a course with your pen and of you go. I got no idea how big this game is yet. It's possible that it will end up a bit too small. I think its up there with Z:OT, Z:TP, Z:LTP. I would probably rank it 4th or 5th and after Z:LTP in the series because the story isn't as emotional or dark. Zelda should be dark. Its always about darkness taking over the land... so maybe its a bit too childish but it's perfect for kids. :-P

It got a battle mode and WiFi mode which I havnt been able to try so its possible that it deserves some more credits. I hope that this game, together with Mario Kart and a few more, sets a new standard for DS gaming. ;)
(though that is not going to happen) Its an excellent game for the DS.
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
Z:OOT and Z:TP, not Z:TOOT and Z:TTP!!!

Been thinking of getting this since I haven't really used my DS much lately, plus I finished Twilight Princess pretty quickly a week or two ago after finally getting a Wii.  Think it's out here on the 10th or something.

I ended up enjoying Wind Waker so I would assume this one would be good too.  Wind Waker was plenty dark towards the end with Ganondorf smacking kid-Link around something fierce and the king of Hyrule going down with his city. :p

I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline rille

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »
I suppose it will be in the big stores between 10-22 something. :D
(but the bloody asians have had it for several months)
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne