Author Topic: Iridescence  (Read 533 times)

Offline The new Olli (with hair)

Iridescence
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:03:36 AM »
So it's been a few months now.  I have a few questions about Vanguard

1) Is it true you can't solo past the opening levels?  I enjoy doing things on my own and don't want to be forced to group all the time.

2) What's the end game like? ( if anyone's there yet)

3) Fun factor - how is it compared to Wow?

Please and thank you.
Hunchback: Repent

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Olli

Iridescence
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:03:14 AM »
Let's move this to Freaky Gamer :P
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

Offline Iridescence

Iridescence
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:13:33 AM »
It has been um.. since January 27th.  I am having much fun so far.  

Yes you can solo past the opening levels if you want - Necromancers are particularly good at soloing, but the larger quest lines and dungeons will require you to be a little over level, or in a group, or at the very least, a very competant duo.  I am just over level 20, but I have been taking my sweet, sweet time, and crafting, doing a spot of Diplomacy which I really enjoy, and just settling in to the world.  

The bigger picture of Vanguard really interests me, and I'm not really expecting to see that level of maturity for another few months, even after the first expansion, since I plan to play Vanguard for a few years, unless something bigger comes along, this is ok with me.  They are patching weekly to resolve the little teething issues that always pop up in the very early time of a game like this, and they have started art and other content patches, introducing new areas to the game, updating item appearances and doing little class tweaks for balance.  There is still much in VG that will change over the next few months to a year as they smooth it out.

Some people are starting to reach level 50 already (that's the current level cap, but I don't expect it to stay there very long), I think the first legitimate character (one who didn't use an exploit) to level 50 took 29 days of constant levelling (and not much else) to get there.  The raid game isn't fully implemented yet, but I don't plan to raid for a very long time.  EQ has kind of burned me out on raiding.  There are plans in the near future to re-implement the Fellowship system (as in you sacrifice a small percentage of your exp to your friends if they have to be offline) and a Caravan system (say you have a group that you play with regularly, you can opt to login at your recall point, or wherever your caravan leader is at the time) so there's a bit of cool stuff coming.  

Fun factor compared to WoW?  Don't take the opinions of the minority of people on the various forums as an indicator of the game community.  The level of maturity of most of the people I have encountered ingame has been WAAAAAY higher than anyone I encountered in WoW.  The style of combat can be quite hectic, but if you're good, you can really do some very cool stuff.  Like Phoenix, me and a friend, with a couple of random rogues, taking on group content 5 or 6 levels higher than we should have been able to.  It's madness, but at the same time, great fun, because it gets the adrenaline going like any good challenge.  The level of difficulty with some of the encounters is higher than WoW.  And there is some stuff that's easy.  Personally I find it more fun because the combat system with it's perception and opportunities and vulnerabilities is a lot more in depth than your average hack and slash, hit autoattack and cast a few spells.  As a Disciple, I am constantly balancing my 3 energy sources (Mana, Endurance and "Jin") to allow me to melee and heal and make sure no one dies.  If I run out of Mana (rare because I use my endurance for most of my healing) I can use the Jin I have built up with my endurance abilities to replenish my mana bar.  It's a great juggling act and makes the game experience quite exciting for me because I've never played anything like it.  But it lets me get my group out of some hair-raising situations :)

When I'm tooling aroung killing something for a quest and I see the message "You have learned such and such an ability" from a particular combination that I hadn't used before, or from the type of critter that I am hunting, or I see some of the higher level crafters or diplomats talking about what they are up to, I am astounded by just how much detail is in this game already!

So there you go.  :)

[edit, this is what my Disciple looks like these days]  Sorry for sidescrolling :p

And this is a screenie I took, strangely enough when I was bugged just before I relogged to fix the graphics glitch.. but I really like how atmospheric it is!

Hermaphrodite Jesus, he hides in the carport.  The neighbour car headlights shine on him, he's scared.
He stoops and he cowers, they call a policeman, they came and they siezed him, and laughed at his hair.
And Jesus hates policemen, for their hearts can know no love.
That's why every time he sees the man, he says "Hey let's beat it, it's the fuzz"

Iridescence
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »
What the fuck ever happened with this game Iri?

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Iridescence
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
It's hell. Don't touch it
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Iridescence
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:39:47 PM »
BUt I like to touch it. (with my peepee)

Offline Phoenix

Iridescence
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 12:46:53 PM »
We're still actually playing it, on and off. It's almost amazingly unfinished, but there's some good stuff there. We got a really cool guild which is a large part for peeking in occasionally. We're basically waiting for it to either get finished or cancelled (I'm not currently paying for an account.. And lots of good work has been done in a very short time by SOE on this so I'm almost hopeful!). :)
She was divinity's creature / That kissed in cold mirrors / A Queen of Snow / Far beyond compare / Lips attuned to symmetry / Sought Her everywhere / Dark liqoured eyes / An Arabian nightmare...

Offline Iridescence

Iridescence
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
It's still very unfinished, but i've had great fun playing VG recently after a little break while they sorted out some bugs and merged servers.  I still adore my class, easily the best calss I've played in any game.  Ever.
Hermaphrodite Jesus, he hides in the carport.  The neighbour car headlights shine on him, he's scared.
He stoops and he cowers, they call a policeman, they came and they siezed him, and laughed at his hair.
That's why every time he sees the man, he says "Hey let's beat it, it's the fuzz"

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Iridescence
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 03:15:04 AM »
Sad really, this game had HUGE potential

Offline Iridescence

Iridescence
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 02:35:15 AM »
It still has Amanda.  It gets more and more finished with each live update, the way EQ2 did once SOE figured out what the hell they were doing with that game.  Some of the stuff they are currently doing will make it run even better, optomising models and buildings.  Ultimately, even though I dabble in other games, Vanguard is the one I want to play.  My guild and now my server are extremely active now, it's great to login and see the chatter flying by, people helping others with stuff, chatting about the game, nice to check my mailbox and see that all the stuff I had on the broker has sold, even down to newbie gear.

My brilliant, hysterical guild is one of the first to have their guildhall built  (there are now about 5 guilds on my server with a completed hall), it's a massive (and I mean massive, I actually got lost running around there!) fortress on top of a cliff with an incredible view on one of the player housing islands, and they spent weeks gathering the materials to build it - they had harvesting "raids" to gather the 2000 odd stacks of granite it needed.  It was a labour of love!  And now they are working on furnishing it with the goal to have NPC vendors and crafting tables there for all to use.  :)  I wouldn't be writing VG off just yet.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Iridescence
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:23:01 AM »
Quote from: Iridescence
It still has Amanda.  It gets more and more finished with each live update, the way EQ2 did once SOE figured out what the hell they were doing with that game.  Some of the stuff they are currently doing will make it run even better, optomising models and buildings.  Ultimately, even though I dabble in other games, Vanguard is the one I want to play.  My guild and now my server are extremely active now, it's great to login and see the chatter flying by, people helping others with stuff, chatting about the game, nice to check my mailbox and see that all the stuff I had on the broker has sold, even down to newbie gear.

My brilliant, hysterical guild is one of the first to have their guildhall built  (there are now about 5 guilds on my server with a completed hall), it's a massive (and I mean massive, I actually got lost running around there!) fortress on top of a cliff with an incredible view on one of the player housing islands, and they spent weeks gathering the materials to build it - they had harvesting "raids" to gather the 2000 odd stacks of granite it needed.  It was a labour of love!  And now they are working on furnishing it with the goal to have NPC vendors and crafting tables there for all to use.  :)  I wouldn't be writing VG off just yet.
Tim and I are seriously considering trying it.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Iridescence
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 04:23:23 AM »
Any trials or buddy keys or anything so we can give it a whirl?

Offline Soma

Iridescence
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 06:16:19 AM »
How can you call people nerds all the time and then spend your free time playing MMORPG's?? :P
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Iridescence
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »
It's a term of endearment!

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Iridescence
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
Nerd.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Iridescence

Iridescence
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
I'm not aware of trials yet, there is a plan for a trial zone, though it's obviously not complete.  I'd say give it a little while longer, there is a major game update in the works at the moment, which I'll keep you up to date on which will hopefully have a lot of improvements in how it runs, even though it's improved SO much already I hardly notice it anymore.  Tell you what though, I still LOVE getting me a flying mount (you can rent them for 20 silver for 5 minutes) and taking it to 1000 feet and taking in the world from up there.  It is such a pretty world!  :)

Offline rille

Iridescence
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 03:24:16 PM »
What does that look like anyhow?
Lot of tiled texture terrain / huge LOD stripes? :o
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Iridescence
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 01:27:02 AM »
You have convinced me to play this game. I demand a prime raiding position in your guild.

Love,

Furiousgeorge

Offline Il Duce

• http://blogs.salon.com/0001634/
Iridescence
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 02:02:50 AM »
Don't do it. He'll just break your heart.
I wore fucking makeup to college for months. Which ran down my face when it rained.

-Rick

Iridescence
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 02:05:42 AM »
Duce, start playing this game with me. We'll make a guild. ANd there's only 3 PVE servers so there will be no temptation

Offline Il Duce

Iridescence
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 02:06:29 AM »
WTB Prot Warrior.
I wore fucking makeup to college for months. Which ran down my face when it rained.

-Rick

Offline Iridescence

Iridescence
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 02:10:01 AM »
Quote from: '[rille
']What does that look like anyhow?
Lot of tiled texture terrain / huge LOD stripes? :o
Unlike a *cough* certain other game that I am also playing at the moment, the world of VG does not infact look like a lot of little tiles from a birds eye perspective.  Next time I login I'll go for a fly and post some screenshots :)

Iridescence
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 02:21:35 AM »
Mail me your game so I can install it then I'll mail it back to you

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Iridescence
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 02:55:15 AM »
Quote from: Mythrandir
Duce, start playing this game with me. We'll make a guild. ANd there's only 3 PVE servers so there will be no temptation
lol

Offline Il Duce

Iridescence
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 03:08:24 AM »
yeah srsly

-Rick