Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 868 times)

Offline Phoenix

Mass Effect
« on: November 21, 2007, 06:36:50 am »
yes
She was divinity's creature / That kissed in cold mirrors / A Queen of Snow / Far beyond compare / Lips attuned to symmetry / Sought Her everywhere / Dark liqoured eyes / An Arabian nightmare...

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
Mass Effect
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:51:57 am »
No.
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline Deus

Mass Effect
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 05:53:13 pm »
It's on the way over here. Should have it in a couple of days...
Hong's 1st law:  "It's only the other people who are munchkins"
Hong's 2nd law: "Thinking too hard about fantasy is bad"
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
Mass Effect
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 12:04:50 am »
Teh funnies, as they say. I was mixing around with the character generator and for a while, Shepard looked a bit like this:

Couldn't have that, so I mixed around some more. In the end, he looked like a young George Clooney with sad puppy eyes and an army haircut.

That said, this game is buggy as hell - but it's also fantastic. Highly recommended, if you can stand the disc read errors and graphical glitches. It's one for the patch history books, I can tell you that.
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline rille

Mass Effect
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 06:11:38 pm »
It's BioWare == good story etc. horrible bugs and tech.
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline Phoenix

Mass Effect
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:21 pm »
Oh fuck off you lot. Disk read errors? Busted 360. I haven't had a single one and judging by the PA forums, the 1 person there that had 'em had a broken 360. Graphical glitches? Sure, some texture popin.. But jesus christ, I'm too busy enjoying the game (or getting shot at) to really focus on the background all that much.

Sure, a HDD cache could make things a bit more bearable, and I'd love for them to allow it, but it's pretty unfair to gloss over this game as being buggy and unpolished as the only real technical issues with it stem from A) Microsoft's mandate it must be playable without a HDD (and seemingly disallowing a HDD cache) and B) Epic's Unreal engine. See Gears of War for the exact same graphical issues.

So.. Yeah... Some of the best gaming moments I've ever had in a single player game were had in this game. It's fucking stellar.
She was divinity's creature / That kissed in cold mirrors / A Queen of Snow / Far beyond compare / Lips attuned to symmetry / Sought Her everywhere / Dark liqoured eyes / An Arabian nightmare...

Offline Kat

Mass Effect
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:49:13 pm »
I am dying to get my hands on this game.  Later this week, I hope!
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

• Bearded Dictator
Mass Effect
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 04:05:49 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix
Oh fuck off you lot. Disk read errors? Busted 360. I haven't had a single one and judging by the PA forums, the 1 person there that had 'em had a broken 360. Graphical glitches? Sure, some texture popin.. But jesus christ, I'm too busy enjoying the game (or getting shot at) to really focus on the background all that much.
Ummm. No.

The DRE is because of the 360's cache being cluttered. Clearing the cache helps, which I of course did. Most games don't throw that problem up though, since they're smart enough to clear the cache when you boot them. Mass Effect apparently doesn't.

And there's not "some" texturing pop-in. It's "a lot" of texturing pop-in.

Still, it's a fucking great game, but denying that it has technical issues is hard.

Offline Kat

Mass Effect
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 06:39:29 pm »
How exactly does one manually clear the cache?
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

• Bearded Dictator
Mass Effect
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 06:57:54 pm »
Go to the system blade, choose memory. Highlight your harddrive, press Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. Say yes to performing maintenance. Takes a second or two.

Offline Iridescence

Mass Effect
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 12:57:08 pm »
Little technical issues experienced by some do not make the game crap.  Even though I didn't actually play it, I followed while T was playing, and I helped him with the character creation.  It's a great story and a very nicely executed game.  A few areas that could've been improved upon, but nothing game breaking.
Hermaphrodite Jesus, he hides in the carport.  The neighbour car headlights shine on him, he's scared.
He stoops and he cowers, they call a policeman, they came and they siezed him, and laughed at his hair.
And Jesus hates policemen, for their hearts can know no love.
That's why every time he sees the man, he says "Hey let's beat it, it's the fuzz"

• Bearded Dictator
Mass Effect
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 04:06:05 pm »
Does the summer heat of Australia impair reading skills, or are you guys just ignorant? :-P

Offline FoiD

Mass Effect
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 04:35:42 pm »
Wow.. in the golden days cheatcodes gave you additional characters, these days it clears cache.
Where has the fun gone?
Save the world... have ur kids spayed or neutered!

Wow, that was incrediblt rude, even by your standards.
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill... Oh and send me money
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Mass Effect
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 12:47:07 am »
Quote from: Genome
Does the summer heat of Australia impair reading skills, or are you guys just ignorant? :-P
It's just Queenslanders.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Deus

Mass Effect
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 03:57:25 am »
So we've been playing quite a bit so far (about 14 hours) and I've seen 1 graphical glitch so far. We've experienced some slow downs every once in a while, but nothing serious or in important combat situations. All in all I'd say the major technical problems in this game have been overhyped...
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline Kat

Mass Effect
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 04:05:26 am »
Yeah, I think one time the stripes failed to appear on my camo armor until I'd taken a step forward.  Not exactly game breaking.  And long loading times, wtf?  The average loading time is around 5 seconds.  Even the longest elevators don't take much more than 20.

I did have some trouble with Mako combat when I first started out, but even that is something to master within an hour or so of practice.  Honestly, the technical issues are so minor (and the rest of the game so good), I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like it.

Offline Kat

Mass Effect
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 12:45:17 pm »
Okay, so I will admit that the texture popup gets worse as the game progresses, but it's still not game breaking and the rest works fine.  

I finished the game last night with my paragon soldier and had a great time with the ending.  Think we can just about confirm that there will be sequels in any case.  :)  I'll probably start over with a renegade adept sometime this week.

For those who have the game, which class did you pick?  Did you like it?  I thought the infiltrator class sounded kind of neat but wasn't sure if all that sniping would eventually get tiresome.

Offline Phoenix

Mass Effect
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 01:41:58 pm »
I played a paragon Vanguard first time around, and I'm currently playing a Renegade infiltrator. Having a blast, but playing on hardcore, so I'm forced to take it pretty slow!

Also, the game's from it's inception meant to be a trilogy.. The ending wasn't a sly wink towards the possibility of a sequel - it was always planned open a broader scope for the next two games.

Lastly, the world is brilliant. The backstory in the codex (though I haven't read it all), the visual and aural style.. I am as pleased to be spending time in the setting as I am to actually be playing the game, most times.

Offline Uche Obiora

Mass Effect
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 05:00:17 am »
Finally started playing a couple of weeks ago. Good game so far... don't know if I really want to concentrate on it though. I need money and hacking skills like mad though.
There's a lot to be said for wilful ignorance.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Mass Effect
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 10:12:27 am »
I have it for PC, it's buggy as... i dunno, something very buggy.
Otherwise it's quite damn good but the bugs keep me off playing it.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Offline Deus

Mass Effect
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »
Been playing it on the PC without many problems. Texture popping is gone fortunately, but sometimes an overloaded weapon won't cool down anymore, no matter how long you wait. A quicksave and load usually solves that though...

Having fun with my adept and my infiltrator so far... :)

Offline AshtrayMonument

Mass Effect
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:58 pm »
PIRATE!
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Croi Boi

Mass Effect
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:04:39 pm »
Renegade infiltrator.  Pretty fun game.  Not really noticing many graphical errors.  Thought originally that it was mind-blowing but later realized it's just really good.
there is another world
there is a better world
well, there must be.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Mass Effect
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 09:57:35 pm »
Deus, what's that in your sig?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Offline Gholam

Mass Effect
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 04:36:15 am »
Great game, p-layed it through as a soldier first time now having a shot at the tech/soldier combo thingy.

Had a few graphical glitches which closed the game down but that due to lack of memory on my side of things I'm pretty sure.  However being able to fall down things but not jump does have its issues where I got stuck on a ledge and couldn't get off.  Had to load the previous save but it was cool.

Loving the galaxy map though, that is cool.