Author Topic: Scariest thing I have seen so far this year.  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Devlyn, the special edition

• http://www.shiningsource.net
Scariest thing I have seen so far this year.
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
Obama might flip-flop once he is in office, but then again that risk exists for all the other candidates as well. What makes Obama stand out of the crowd (besides his viewpoints) imho is that his campaign is surprisingly lacking hate :P.
First and Proudest Member of the Unmelodramatic Music Fundamentalists Association!
blehg, a blog!

Offline Rick

• Omg hi 2 U.
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
Hate keeps a man alive!
The simplest thing is to work with n-dimensional Minkowski spacetime.

Offline Aginor

• a monkey from a long line of kings
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »
Quote from: dkan
Quote from: Aginor
So 25% to you is the majority of Americans? Wow, you must be one of those people that though 50.2% clearly meant a strong mandate.
25% in the polls doesn't mean the majority don't like him or agree with him on issues, it means that 75% don't think he can win or don't know about him and his record.
And that's extremely dumb reasoning. By the same standards if a white supremacist ran and had 25% support, the other 75% agree with him but don't think he can win or don't know about him and his record? *boggle*

Offline dkan

• http://hucksarmy.com/
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
No but John McCain at the moment is running at around 35%, last I heard and everyone says he'll win. If Huckabee had got 2% more in South Carolina I think he could have got a boost of 10% which would have placed him where McCain is now.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2008, 12:49:27 AM »
...and everyone says he'll win. If Huckabee had got 2% more in South Carolina I think he could have got a boost of 10% which would have placed him where McCain is now.
Huh?!
"Everyone says" isn't particularly evidence-based... And 2% != 10%...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline dkan

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2008, 02:22:06 AM »
The South Carolina primary is highly symbolic, probably the most symbolic after New Hampshire and Iowa. Whoever wins that gets a definite boost and everybody who knows anything agrees that McCain's victory there (by 2%) is the reason he's frontrunner today. He could have still managed to become frontrunner but it's when he started dominating the media reporting - if he'd failed or come in third place he probably would be finished today.

So yes, a 2% difference in a key primary can and repeatedly does lead to a 10% lead a week or two later. Do you know anything about the US primary system? The eventual nominees win because of 90% media presentation and expectation. You get votes if the media thinks you're 'credible', which is why the fact that Huckabee still has 25% today shows that he has a significant base of support. Giuliani's career is over because he kept coming last in all the early symbolic states even though he was leading in the polls nationally and in places like Florida, New York, California.

Does that mean that Giulani has no base of support and couldn't have won? No, it means events, 'luck' were against him.

Offline Mordeth

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2008, 02:36:21 AM »
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »
Yeah, sure. That's not what your post said, and you didn't provide the reasoning for it.

Do you know anything about the US primary system?
Apart from the obvious? :-P I'm not American...

lol @ Mordie :D
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline nunya

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2008, 02:41:27 AM »
It's all a bit of a circus really, would be funny if there wasn't so much at stake.

Over here on the other side of the Pacific I'm personally rooting for Obama as he is not republican, hopefully he will force some separation of corporation and state and be less divisive.

Though if Obama gets in how long will it be before he is assassinated? Bets on if he makes 1 term? I mean he is black and if he rocks the boat it will be only a matter of time before some nutjob with a gun (and this is the US we are talking about) or some spook shoots him.
I am not smart enough to do everything
But i'm dumb enough to try anything.

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2008, 05:57:55 AM »
I figure that pretty much whoever wins is gonna be a cunt and lie to people. So you may as well be lied to by somebody handsome and charismatic. It'd be a lot easier to swallow Obama's bullshit.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2008, 06:22:15 AM »
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline Kat

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
Quote from: Devlyn
Obama might flip-flop once he is in office, but then again that risk exists for all the other candidates as well. What makes Obama stand out of the crowd (besides his viewpoints) imho is that his campaign is surprisingly lacking hate :P.
It's a bigger risk with Obama just because he's too inexperienced to have a track record on some issues (foreign policy comes instantly to mind).  Voting for Obama is a bit chancy but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Better a promising candidate with less experience than a candidate with a long record of dishonesty and scandal.  Better Obama than Hillary.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Rick

• Omg hi 2 U.
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2008, 07:21:42 AM »
Better "Hilarity" than "Oh Bummer"!
The simplest thing is to work with n-dimensional Minkowski spacetime.

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Quote from: Kat
It's a bigger risk with Obama just because he's too inexperienced to have a track record on some issues (foreign policy comes instantly to mind).  Voting for Obama is a bit chancy but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Better a promising candidate with less experience than a candidate with a long record of dishonesty and scandal.  Better Obama than Hillary.
On one hand I agree with you. Barack may be susceptible to future lobbyists and other external pressures. On the other hand, his arrival shows some similarities to the arrival of Fortuyn in the Netherlands a bunch of years ago (not in terms of political positioning, mind you! ;)). Rather than drawing out from existing populace, he too seems to bring new voters to the booths. Those people want some real fundamental change, and such change won't come from well-established politicians.

There are serious risks with Barack, he's an unknown factor. He might flip-flop once in office, he might even be shot too (I sure hope that won't ever happen), but knowing what established politicians stood for and accomplished in the last decades, I'm all for the Obama gamble. Bush's American Dream was but a drop of fuel for a nightmare, and I see Obama as the only person able to take out the trash and restore the country's dignity towards its own populace and its international allies.

-Devlyn, who thanks SA for due inspiration :P
First and Proudest Member of the Unmelodramatic Music Fundamentalists Association!
blehg, a blog!

Offline dkan

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2008, 11:17:01 PM »
60% in Kansas (vs 22% for McCain)... not bad for an extremist fundamentalist!

Offline Mordeth

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »
uh... that's about right for kansas though isn't it? :)
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Kat

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2008, 01:34:59 AM »
On one hand I agree with you. Barack may be susceptible to future lobbyists and other external pressures. On the other hand, his arrival shows some similarities to the arrival of Fortuyn in the Netherlands a bunch of years ago (not in terms of political positioning, mind you! ;)). Rather than drawing out from existing populace, he too seems to bring new voters to the booths. Those people want some real fundamental change, and such change won't come from well-established politicians.

There are serious risks with Barack, he's an unknown factor. He might flip-flop once in office, he might even be shot too (I sure hope that won't ever happen), but knowing what established politicians stood for and accomplished in the last decades, I'm all for the Obama gamble. Bush's American Dream was but a drop of fuel for a nightmare, and I see Obama as the only person able to take out the trash and restore the country's dignity towards its own populace and its international allies.

-Devlyn, who thanks SA for due inspiration :P
Sure, but wasn't Pim Fortuyn a bigoted jerk whose primary role turned out to be organizing anti-Muslim sentiment into a political entity?  Van Gogh and Wilders seem to be the most glaring examples of his legacy.  I'm not entirely sure I want Obama to turn out to be another Fortuyn.

Edit: When I first read your post I took "political positioning" to mean political maneuvering, but it occurs to me upon rereading that maybe you meant they had nothing in common in terms of policy?  If so then nevermind.  :)
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Aginor

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2008, 04:32:34 AM »
60% in Kansas (vs 22% for McCain)... not bad for an extremist fundamentalist!
You're either a paid shill or a moro... whatever. Fucking Kansas, you fool. Kansas, Louisiana, and Washington State. Are you fucking serious? If a crazy American talibanista can't win there, this country is in a lot better shape than i thought.
:D

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2008, 05:50:13 AM »
lol, not finding your recruitment efforts going so well?
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Aginor

Offline Kat

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »
Quote from: Aginor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xgtAWfSWM  :)
Heh.  :D

Offline dkan

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »
Huck Me, lol

I think this one is funnier though: (he's right too)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VaBSqGiAsJM&feature=related

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »
Quote from: Kat
Edit: When I first read your post I took "political positioning" to mean political maneuvering, but it occurs to me upon rereading that maybe you meant they had nothing in common in terms of policy?  If so then nevermind.  :)
Indeed :P.  Their viewpoints are wildly different, of course ;).
blehg, a blog!

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2008, 07:34:03 AM »
I think abortion being murder is wrong and that abortions should be reduced as much as possible I don't know about making it a crime, though that's up to the states. The important thing is that there should be some way to dissuade it.
No, it's up to the woman. Not some politician to decide what I do with MY body.

<---Hillary Supporter (you all knew this already, I'm sure)