Author Topic: Age of Conan...  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Age of Conan...
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:11:41 pm »
... comes out in a month. I think I'm gonna pre-order (free mount or weapon and 3 day jump on the general public) The beta reviews I have read said minor bugs aside, it's going to be amazing.

You guys?

http://www.ageofconan.com

Offline Rick

• Omg hi 2 U.
Age of Conan...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:48:48 pm »
LOL Memorpogus.
The simplest thing is to work with n-dimensional Minkowski spacetime.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Age of Conan...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:58:34 pm »
I will most likely play it, it should be fucking amazing.
Don't think i will pre-order though, free mount is bullshit and to get a head start you need to pay 5 eur more after pre-ordering, so... Yeah.

Have to do some more research on the thing, but i guess it will be the game to fill the time before Darkfall comes out.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Offline The new Olli (with hair)

Age of Conan...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:41:10 pm »
Hunchback join my guild. We'll call it   Mythback
Hunchback: Repent

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline rille

Age of Conan...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:05:18 pm »
I read Conan when I was a kid.
A pretty solid world but I'll not ruin those memories by playing this game. ;)
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Age of Conan...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 01:01:59 am »
You better not ruin the memory of ANYTHING that you ever liked by remembering it to begin with! God knows you like so few things you really should immediately forget anything you like, so that if you happen to run into it again in the future you can once again feel that fleeting moment of happiness

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Age of Conan...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:20 am »
Purchased the game today, will report back

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Age of Conan...
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 11:47:41 am »
I have it since pre-launch.

It's quite well done, big and serious MMO. The gameplay is similar to WoW but also different, which is one of the main reasons for people bitching and crying - they think it's wow with new skin or something and play it like wow and fail.
It IS brutal, there's shitloads of blood, there are naked girls and some of the quests are quite... unpure. (ex. there was 1 guy in a quest that kept the quest award in his ass, because he is a captive-slave).
There are tons of quests, and some "Destiny" quests which basically tell you the story and are tailored for each of the 4 arch-types. However, it's a real hack-n-slash so don't expect wonders in that aspect. I stopped reading the quest dialogs at about lvl 20(since then all quest gives are fully voiced bur). One bad thing is that ALL characters start in the exact same location, so if you decide to try a couple of classes before picking one for a longer run it gets very very boring to do them all over again.

All the classes are very interesting and well made, however there's huge balance problems still. They have a LOT of work to do, some classes are totally OP and others are worthless (pvp wise that is, in pve all classes perform about equally). What i really love about it is that they've taken the way of Vanguard making healers do DPS in order to heal, instead of being a healbot at the back of the party. For example, i play a bear shaman who is a "melee-healer" - they get up to medium armor and wield 2h blunt weapons. Also, 2 or 3 of their heals trigger only when the shaman fighting in melee. The other main heal heals in a small cone infront of the shaman. So in short you HAVE to be in the fight no matter your spec. The other two healers are "caster healers" where one's DPS spells augment his Heal spells and the being the opposite - the healing spells boost his DPS spells.
Also, every healer class has 2 HoTs and 1 direct heal at base and then others to unlock with talents. However the shaman for example doesn't have a single -targeted- heal - they all affect the whole party around the shaman or a cone infront of it. I am not sure about the rest, but i believe it's more or less the same. This might seem "lame" and "no-skill" since you don't need to switch targets etc, but in AoC healing is more about timing and rotation of your spells. Since you need to DPS in order to heal properly it would have been a mess to switch hostile and friendly targets all the time.

Two of the three tanks are hybrids too - The conqueror can't even wear a shield, he tanks with a 2h weapon or dual wield. And it works lol. Also they get 4 directional auras at a time(ex you put mana regen aura on your back, fire-dmg bonus on your both sides and armor bonus at the front), which are however quite weak for the moment The Dark Templar gets no 2h at all but he has various spells all based around life-drain so he can constantly heal the party a little bit. It's in no way sufficient to really heal but it's nice, somewhat like a constant healing totem from WOW and at times a bit more. The DT is -THE- pve monster for solo/leveling - basically no down-time, you go you kill you heal yourself while doing so...

Other than that, there's FUCKLOADS of bugs, but it's getting better and better since they are spawning patches like mad. Currently they've set up 2 days of the week for DT/Patch Days, so that means 2 patches per weak. They say later on when it's more balanced and fixed they will start releasing patches more rarely but making them bigger.

So in short, the game has a future, it will for sure not fail like Vanguard did. It's still full with bugs and needs major class-balance fixes for PvP but it's slowly getting done. It's nice to play as long as you don't run into nasty bugs, and it encourages team-play (there are LOADS of group quests).
Oh yeah, all the zones are "instanced" but they are huge and everyone can enter and leave. There's also the aspect of Guild Wars for instancing, where you have the same zone multiple times on a server, depending on the load of the zone. You can freely move between "instances" of a zone with a button in the interface. (Useful for escaping ganking retards 20 levels higher than you). Sometimes it's a bit confusing because the "local chat"(which i hate as a concept, btw) is global for all the instances of a zone, so when you group up with someone in the chat you then have to get to the same instance to play together. The limitation about instancing is, however, that you need to be 5 meters away maximum from a spawning point(think graveyard in wow) - you can't just "teleport" from everywhere.

I haven't seen end-game yet, i haven't had much time to play lately, so i can't comment on how it is. So far my guild has built 1 keep and are gathering resources for building other shit to protect the guild town.
ATM i can't decide weather i want to keep playing the shaman or play my ranger(who is still in newb town :( ).

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Age of Conan...
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:02:57 pm »
"Picts will no longer raise their eyebrows at people after having been killed by a fatality "

ROFL, from the patchnotes from last night. :lol:

Age of Conan...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:52:45 am »
What server are you on hunchback??

LET'S START A GUILD

Offline Nasojiti

Age of Conan...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:30 am »
It's a little... grindey.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline Ebert Von Snappenhausen

• Örf!
Age of Conan...
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 10:45:18 am »
I thought all MMOs were about grinding like mad.
Like MAD, I tell you! :lurk:

No wonder obsessive people like them.
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Age of Conan...
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 11:04:40 am »
Well it's been out for 2 weeks I would imagine it would be grindy as most mmo's are released 25% complete.

Offline Ebert Von Snappenhausen

• Örf!
Age of Conan...
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 12:55:42 pm »
Are you an obsessive person?
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Age of Conan...
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:32:32 pm »
We like it so far, but it's pretty nerdy, like ultra ultra nerdy. Corny sex jokes targeted at nerdy virgin boys, which will draw all pre-pubes to the noob area. Tricksey gameplay that I think will be very rewarding in the later levels. I see a huge amount of potential here. I'm sick of WoW, it's beat to death, haven't played but here and there since right before TBC came out.

AoC has more adventure, and boobies and noob area aside, it seems like it would appeal more to old house mom nerds. I want something new without a huge learning curve.

In many ways it reminds of of EQ2, which I also saw potential, but found terribly boring. Seems easy enough to solo so far... I picked assasin because it's fun. I'm not going to think about end game or stress over details, just gonna roll with it and enjoy it for what it is, a game.

Two nerdy thumbs up (so far)

Offline Mordeth

Age of Conan...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 03:18:49 am »
lol
i can't imagine myth doing anything as degrading as playing a MMORPG, but then I'm very drunk
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Age of Conan...
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:53 am »
Playing MMOs is not degrading.

Age of Conan...
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:49 am »
Join the dark side Mordeth *hits shield wall*

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Age of Conan...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 05:33:51 am »
MMO's kick ass

Age of Conan...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 05:36:16 am »
NERD

Offline Kat

Age of Conan...
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 06:28:43 pm »
I'm giving AoC a shot, because I'm bored and don't have anything else to play for now.  I like the fact that solo play is also a viable option; after WoW I'm pretty tired of spending hours looking for a priest because we can't get anything done without one.

The game has been installing/updating for around two and a half hours now, which has given me plenty of time to think on which class I want to play.  I'm thinking either barbarian or dark templar; something with decent survivability and DPS.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Age of Conan...
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 07:30:19 pm »
Barbarian has shit-all survivability, dark templar is imba.

Otherwise in AoC you have quite a few group quests, but it can be soloed for the most part. Also, groups are of 6 people and healers actually get to fight so many people play healers/tanks (more than DPS, actually) so it's not a problem to find a group. Usually.

I am on the Soulstorm EU server, current char name - Kassad

Offline Kat

Age of Conan...
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 10:36:01 pm »
Dark templars are good imbalanced or bad imbalanced?

I dunno, I'm only at level 9, but the barbarian seems pretty survivable to me.  Just died twice so far.

Also I'm completely baffled by the skills system.  I thought I wasn't going to get any talent points until level ten, but apparently I can put points in things like climb and heal as well... I saved most of my 200 odd points because I wasn't sure what the best way to spend them was.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Age of Conan...
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:35 am »
That's skill points, no talent points. Press N and you get your talent trees.
As a barb you will NEED hide and the stamina/health regen skills. Also, invest into climbing every now and then, 80 should be fine for the beginning. It's not -necessary- but it helps do quests much easier(by climbing to areas instead of taking a long detour). Everything that rests you should put into the run-speed and less-staming-when-runing skills, basically they should be maxed.

Also - http://www.conanarmory.com/feat.aspx?id=2
Barbs get quite nice DPS, especially in pvp with the sneak-attack. At lower levels you can one-shot clothies with a sneak-attack. However they only get light armor so later on the armor difference will start to show. Basically a barbarian is something like a "heavy-assassin"(that's why it's in the rouge group), only that it doesn't suck (like the "real" assassin).

As for DTs - they are the solo MACHINE. Heal themselves constantly and generally have no down-time. But then, it's the same with the bear shaman. Difference is, in a group one is a healer/dps and the other tank/dps.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
Age of Conan...
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 04:07:29 am »
The graphics are soooooo stunning. But I really dislike all the instancing (at first was ok, now it's really getting OLD) and this 1 2 3 junk is dumb. We shall see.