Author Topic: Age of Conan...  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 04:49:49 pm »
All right, so I've fiddled around with a few classes now.  The Dark Templar is indeed pretty good for soloing, and I have one that just hit level 40.  The problem with DTs is that while they have great survivability, they're not as  interesting to play as other classes can be.  Still not bad, just not stellar.

When Deus and I are playing together, he plays a Tempest of Set and I play a Conqueror.  This combination has thus far worked extremely well, with the Conqueror to tank and DPS while the ToS does the healing and, um, more DPS.  Truthfully we kill most mobs before we even have a chance to make full use of our abilities, but I suspect this will change as we level up.

Not crazy about the Barbarian.  It's okay I guess, but it isn't that different from the soldier classes except that it dies more often.

I recently rolled a Herald of Xotli because I was getting sick of my Dark Templar, and man, is this class fun!  Sure, you die all the time (at least at level 12), but it's a firebreathing mage with a big sword.  Super fun to watch a HoX set everything alight and then finish them off with a nice two-handed combo.  This class also has the best fatalities of the ones I've played so far; I'm looking forward to getting the "I eat your heart!" combo.

I doubt I'll stay interested in Age of Conan long enough to reach the endgame content, but for the moment I'm having a lot of fun with it.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
    • View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 05:09:50 pm »
I quit the game, it sucks atm.

Will need a lot of patching to be playable.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Offline Croi Boi

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 05:10:31 pm »
This thread reminds me of Gandalf's lauding and then discarding of World of Warcraft when it was in beta.  =P
there is another world
there is a better world
well, there must be.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
    • View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »
it shouldn't

Offline Croi Boi

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
/wrists
there is another world
there is a better world
well, there must be.

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 01:31:05 am »
Quote from: Hunchback
I quit the game, it sucks atm.

Will need a lot of patching to be playable.
And what exactly is making it unplayable?
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
    • View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 09:02:51 am »
1. Class Balance
2. Bugs

Offline Nasojiti

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 11:03:20 am »
l2p fgt lol
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline Deus

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 11:58:40 am »
Haven't encountered too many bugs sofar actually, though I know Kat's fallen through the ground a few times because of them...

Class balance is not a very big issue since I only play PvE and the imbalance doesn't seem huge there so far, so I'm having fun with my Tempest of Set...
Hong's 1st law:  "It's only the other people who are munchkins"
Hong's 2nd law: "Thinking too hard about fantasy is bad"
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
    • View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:03 pm »
OFC, ToS is THE IMBAR class :)

and erm... i play PvP so ;)

Offline The new Olli (with hair)

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 01:29:18 pm »
Too much button clicking. HItting 8 buttons instead of 1 does not make it an "immersive" combat system. It just makes it bulky, cluttered and wrist numbing.
Hunchback: Repent

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 02:36:05 pm »
Your wrist must get numb easily.  I like having to aim swings to match weak points in the enemy's armor; it's a lot less passive than the usual MMO click-and-wait.

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:44 pm »
Not really. You're just exchanging other attacks for normal attacks "aimed" by pressing 2 buttons instead of the one you're used to. Tbh I just don't like having to press the kind of attack I want to do, then have to look to see which directional button that triggered then have to worry about where he's putting his shields blah blah blah.  Seems like it's just busy work just for the sake of saying it's not auto attack. It doesn't add anything to the game.

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 02:43:29 pm »
Eh, well, to each his own I suppose.

AoC is mostly just a placefiller until the next batch of games comes out in the fall.

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:55 pm »
That's the thing though I don't see any promising mmo's. Warhammer is too pvp'ee and Vanguard wont' work unless you have a magic computer.

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »
Frankly there are so many games coming out this fall (Too Human, Fallout 3, Spore, Fable 2, Rise of the Argonauts, and The Force Unleashed, to name just a few) that I don't think I'm going to have time for a new MMO.  Besides, isn't Wrath of the Lich King scheduled for a fall release too?

I'm going to sit tight and hold out for Starcraft Universe.

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2008, 03:30:39 pm »
Yeah it's coming out before Christmas I think. I just bought Mass Effect for the 360 so I think I'll spend some time with that. Starcraft Universe would be a dream come true (if you're dreaming about starcraft mmo's that is)

Offline Nasojiti

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2008, 03:43:49 pm »
ToS are the imba class now? So, that's Conqs, PoMs and ToS that have been OP in a month... Awesome. Fucking whingers. Fuck class balance, the game is boring to play, that's why I quit and am way too good for you newfags. And Warlocks were never OP in WoW either.

The Force Unleashed and Fallout 3 are going to suck, FO3 is going to suck harder than Failblivion did! I honestly hope it doesn't but I don't hold much hope.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
    • View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 03:45:22 pm »
Imba is not a word.  Anyone who uses it must die.
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2008, 03:46:25 pm »
Nasojiti is the new rille

Offline Nasojiti

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 03:50:28 pm »
Fuck that, I like stuff. I found WoW pretty fun, and EVE is awesome. I don't have that Eurofag hate that rille does.

I'm just tired of cunts whinging about a game that obviously isn't half finished, and while it sucks to have to pay for the honour of playing it, that's what you get with everything.

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2008, 03:52:03 pm »
I'm curious about Eve.

question: Can I be an Orc.

Offline Kat

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2008, 03:58:02 pm »
Actually I'm curious about Eve too.  The little I know about the game sounded fun, but I have the economic sense of Robert Mugabe.  If the game is all about making money I am going to suck at it.

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2008, 04:06:25 pm »
A mugabe reference in a thread about mmo's. Excellent

Offline Nasojiti

• View Profile
Age of Conan...
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2008, 04:25:53 pm »
Imagine someone kicking you in the face, constantly. That's EVE. Then you get better and get to kick other people in the face.

Try the 15 day free trial, it's, liek, totally free.