Author Topic: And now the award for the best international comedy award goes to...  (Read 382 times)

Offline FoiD

And it will be no surprise that it goes to Italy!
Well done.  Well done.  It's impressive what they have done with, or possibly more to, democracy all these years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7501825.stm

MPs pass Berlusconi immunity bill

Italy's lower house of parliament has voted to pass a controversial immunity bill put forward by Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government.

The amendment protects top public officials, including the prime minister and president, from prosecution.

The bill is expected to be passed by the upper house, where Mr Berlusconi enjoys a solid majority, in September.

Critics have labelled the change a made-to-measure piece of legislation to protect the 71-year-old billionaire.

Mr Berlusconi - who was not present in parliament when the bill was passed - currently faces a corruption case involving one of his lawyers, David Mills, the former husband of a British cabinet minister.

'Rough and ready'

He also faces prosecution in Rome for alleged collusion between his Mediaset network and state broadcaster, Rai.

Opposition leader Walter Veltroni said the law was: "Objectively speaking, a law for a single person".

Mr Berlusconi has long claimed that the country's judiciary is politically motivated and is running a campaign against him.

He claims that he has attended 2,500 court hearings, had 587 police visits and spent some 174m euros (£135m; $271m) in legal fees since entering the political scene 14 years ago.

Former prime minister and opposition lawmaker Massimo D'Alema urged the prime minister to "hold his head high and face these judgements".

"This law is a rough and ready measure to block the corruption trial which the president is involved in and perhaps prevent another," he added, according to Italy's Corriere della Sera newspaper.

Strike threat

But Italy's Justice Minister Angelino Alfano defended the bill, which was passed by 309 votes to 236, with 30 abstentions.

"Having brilliantly won the elections, Silvio Berlusconi deserves to be able to calmly govern this government. And this country needs to be governed," he said, according to the paper.

Another bill reforming the justice system, which would freeze all trials for alleged crimes committed before 2002, is currently making its way through parliament.

Mr Berlusconi's government say it is a necessary step to speeding up the country's notoriously sluggish legal system but his critics have branded it yet another tailor-made law.

Judges have condemned his various changes to the legal system and have threatened to go on strike. [\quote]

Save the world... have ur kids spayed or neutered!

Wow, that was incrediblt rude, even by your standards.
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill... Oh and send me money
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Thin

Re: And now the award for the best international comedy award goes to...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:52:21 am »
I love it.

Shouldn't the italians have a constitution which prevents this sort of law? Surely the courts would strike it down.

Offline FoiD

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:28 am »
Don't really know, but  the people involved with the courts could be corrupt.
It's a stretch, I know.
Save the world... have ur kids spayed or neutered!

Wow, that was incrediblt rude, even by your standards.
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill... Oh and send me money
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline AshtrayMonument

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:08:40 am »
Those mother fuckers need a revolution.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:29:33 am »
Julius should make himself useful for once and post that article on Italian police he linked in IRC the other day.

But instead he's in France!

Anyhoo, Italy sounds dodgy as fuck the more I hear about it.
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline The new Olli (with hair)

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:11:51 pm »
Fuck this, let's all talk about how screwed up the U.S is.
Hunchback: Repent

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline GrimReaper of Wrestling

• http://www.myspace.com/marcel1973
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 01:35:29 am »
Fuck this, let's all talk about how screwed up the U.S is.

I think that would be to easy :P
Oh God I am the american dream
I do not think Im too extreme
An I'm a handsome sonofabitch
I'm gonna get a good job 'n be real rich

Offline Devlyn, the special edition

• http://www.shiningsource.net
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:41:22 pm »
Give it two more years or so. I'm sure he'll die due to excessive plastic surgery soon...
First and Proudest Member of the Unmelodramatic Music Fundamentalists Association!
blehg, a blog!

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:04:41 pm »
Julius should make himself useful for once and post that article on Italian police he linked in IRC the other day.

But instead he's in France!
You wish you were this good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/17/italy.g8
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw