Author Topic: Events in Georgia  (Read 321 times)

Offline pBluescript

Events in Georgia
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:49:19 am »
Any thoughts or comments on what is going on in the Caucasus?

Seems to me that it was pretty stupid of Georgia to decide to roll troops in the the regions to begin with.
Not surprising that Russia responded by rolling in tanks and artillary and kicking them out.

Now the two breakaway republics have decided to go independent (which is what they wanted to do in the first place) and Russia is supporting them.

US and EU can bitch all they want, but I don't think they can do a damn thing about it.
Old Myrrdrall never die, they just slowly Fade away

Offline Ebert Von Snappenhausen

• Örf!
Re: Events in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:52:27 am »
You are late.

Get on with the program.
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline pBluescript

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:32:38 am »
Well pffft.

Don't see it mentioned here on the board.
Excuse me for trying to bring some topical events for discussion.
Old Myrrdrall never die, they just slowly Fade away

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:13:26 pm »
I think it's a bit laughably hypocritical of the US considering recent form to protest about this...

The more I read about events like this the less motivated I am to find out what actually happened: half the time you have to sift through 10 different points of view.

And, lol: McCain cares so much he sent his wife there. What for? Fuck knows. :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:16:54 pm by Julius »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:17:04 pm »
I hear the tanks are closing in on Savannah now. And Dubya isn't doing a thing.
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline Nasojiti

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 12:21:14 pm »
Ruskis out of USA!

NATO should send in troops to liberate Georgian soil from the hands of the Warmongers of the East.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline The new Olli (with hair)

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 01:26:59 pm »
The sad part about this all is that the U.S's international cred is so shit, that they almost completely invalidate any legitimate argument about what RUssia is doing by saying anything at all. It's hard not to laugh when hearing Bush call for Russia to stop their illegal invasion of a sovereign country considering the last 8 years.  The Russian's excuse for invading is far more logical than the one the U.S used.
Hunchback: Repent

I repent every day Hunchie. And every day god makes me newer, faster, smarter, sexier, and ready to sin again.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 06:53:01 pm »
The sad part about this all is that the U.S's international cred is so shit, that they almost completely invalidate any legitimate argument about what RUssia is doing by saying anything at all. It's hard not to laugh when hearing Bush call for Russia to stop their illegal invasion of a sovereign country considering the last 8 years.  The Russian's excuse for invading is far more logical than the one the U.S used.

:(

Offline Aginor

• a monkey from a long line of kings
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 07:23:46 pm »

^^^THIS

Offline Thin

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 01:09:21 am »

Agreed. I've heard American commentators saying "Someone shold tell Russia that in this day an age you cant get away with invading another foreign nation, in Europe".

I found the conflict a fascinating post-cold war event. Russia slapped Georgia around a little for behaving a bit stupid.

Offline Nasojiti

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:22:20 am »
Georgia were in the right! May have been stupid but certainly right.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 05:10:47 pm »
Agreed. I've heard American commentators saying "Someone shold tell Russia that in this day an age you cant get away with invading another foreign nation, in Europe".
It wasn't a commentator, it was the US ambassador to the UN...
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?