Who has tried it yet??
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Offline Ebert Von Snappenhausen

• Örf!
Re: Spore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »
Who cares?
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:53 AM »
The pope

• Örf!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:29:29 AM »
... shit in the woods, yah yah...
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline Nadir

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
Tried it. Addictive as hell. I get no sleep these nights...
If evolution exists at all, it likely explains why there are big, small, round, long, green, red and green tomatoes. It in no way explains why there are tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and peppers. The explanation is salad"

www.fstdt.com - need i say more? ;)

Offline Kat

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:06:37 PM »
Spore is good and adorable as hell, and it will suck you the way a god game should.  But it's not quite as deep as I had hoped.  It dabbles in a lot of different gameplay elements without really expanding on any of them.  Gamespot gave it an 8 out of 10 and I'd agree with that.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »
Me too. It's awesome. Yet simple.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:31:32 AM »
Hoping to pick up a copy this week. Tim already went and tried to get one, none were there. I'm very exited, been waiting for a long long time.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
arenabg dot com

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 08:17:11 AM »
lol

:-*

Offline Nasojiti

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
More like Snore, amirite?
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »
Rite.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Rick

• Omg hi 2 U.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »
s-bore?
The simplest thing is to work with n-dimensional Minkowski spacetime.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
moar like s-suck my dick :D

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 08:16:04 AM »
I'm having tons of fun. Not going into Tribal yet, want to make as many friends as possible before I do.

I could use more depth, but I'm OK with it so far.  8)

Offline Nasojiti

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »
I just killed everything. The dancing and posing shit annoyed me.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
i did both.

You need friends to survive.

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »
Ok, in Tribal phase now... and wow. What a disappointment. After I got past the glossy part where I felt a huge hook with creature creation...

Nothing I do in previous stages relates to future stages. This bothers me. I spent gads of time being Miss Social in the Creature phase to affect my relationships with the Tribal phase, and previous allies are now enemies. They did boast everything you do has an outcome to the evolution of your race, that boast was false. Once you get past the cutesy fun creation portion, it's very basic if not kiddie. You have very few functions/feats and have to repeat the same 4 things. Four.

I heard no depth, but boy it really has no depth. I had thought something like CIV but CIV if you start off at a cell stage and progress. True evolution from cell to space. HA HA HA no.

The cell stage is also very STUPID. The creature phase is cute, but the charming my ass off got boring fast. Only 4 moves... you migrate to a new nest but you don't actually select or do anything to claim the nest, you just walk to it? Oh boy, and where do I begin on the Tribal phase. And the deeper I get, the clunkier the controls and worse the bugs. The game was not what was sold/hyped over the last 4 years during it's creation. They wasted too much time with cutesy graphics and not NEARLY enough on content.

Character Creation 9.5
Graphics Creature 9
Graphics Environment 6
Game play Cellular phase 2
Game play Creature phase 7
Game play Tribal phase 5
Technical (Bugs and Clunk factor) 6.5

My Score: 6.4

Did I have fun? Ya. At first... felt a bit of a hook especially with the creation stuff. Was it worth the hype, the $50 bucks, and did it stack up to Sims or CIV? Absolutely not. Will add more as I finish and evolve into other phases, if I bother. I'm pretty annoyed, I have waited this game's release for SO long.

Offline Kat

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 11:49:41 PM »
Well you shouldn't give up on the game until you reach the better parts, which are the civilization and space stages.  I personally found it much easier to be aggressive in earlier stages as that dancing minigame gets old fast.

Space stage is quite varied and amusing, even if the planetary alerts happen much too often.  Also, has anyone managed to make it into the center of the galaxy?  Every time I get close there's always one star just out of jumping range, and those Grox make my life a living hell.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Mandie

• Family Photos
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
Ugh, the Civilization stage is meh. It's lame version of CIV. Not at all impressed. Each stage seems less and less finished and more incomplete. At this point, I can't be bothered to log in.

Offline Kat

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »
I liked the civilization stage, because it was a slimmed down version of civ.  The tribe and creature phases are frustrating and extremely shallow.  The civ stage ain't exactly deep, but at least the interface isn't impossible and the gameplay mechanisms work (such as they are).  In space it's fun to explore but I'm pretty sick of getting beeped every time some beastie on one of my planets gets AIDS.

• Örf!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »
Tried something with the name Spore in it on the Nintendo DS.
It made me want to kill things with my bare hands and urinate on the corpse.
This happen to you as well? Or do I need to try better games? :(

Offline Kat

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »
Tried something with the name Spore in it on the Nintendo DS.
It made me want to kill things with my bare hands and urinate on the corpse.
This happen to you as well? Or do I need to try better games? :(

Well if it's PC games on the DS you want, why not check out the DS version of the Sims?  I hear it was really great.  Not.

I don't know why they even make handheld ports of games like this- they always suck hardcore.

Offline rille

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Will buy and try the game if they remove the SecuROM solution ;)

Trying to do spore on the DS is just sad. You have 4Mb in the DS... try to do something remotely cool and you will fail on it. Which is not the same thing as saying that the DS doesn't have any cool games but a game like Spore on the machine is just screams failure to the life concept itself.

Settlers 2 on the DS works ok. It's an identical port of the old PC game but lacks MP support, which is just sad... ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:56:30 PM by [rille] »
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
Graphically the DS is good, but yeah, does seem to suffer a lot from memory constraints and the like.

I was interested a while back when I noticed there was a Simcity 3000 (well, based on it) port for the DS, but reading the reviews it sounds like a lot of stuff was stripped down from the hardware constraints. :(

Anyway on the topic of Spore, yeah, not touching it with a 10' pole with that 3-install DRM crap.  Sadly the Mac version is just as bad.  A lazy pseudo-port using Transgaming's crusty WINE fork.  Including SecuROM which they explicitly added support for.
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.