Author Topic: Fortnite! and helicopter parenting...  (Read 74 times)

Offline rille

Fortnite! and helicopter parenting...
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:07 am »
I must be the worst Fortnite player alive... it's a bit strange since I used to be good at QII/QIII/UT ...
Maybe it's the age? (37?!)  ;D

Anyhow, my kid (almost 8) want to play Fortnite, I have played a few times with him.
I sort of reached the conclusion that it's better to play with him than against... ( if you get what I mean...)
That said I'm not certain it's the correct way to handle it. I have tried to get him interested in other STEM related areas but failed so far.
I'm thinking that everything has it's given time as long as I'm supportive.
My daughter is more interested and unlike me she doesn't have any language defects, she even seems talented at it,
so it keeps my hopes up that she might become a better me someday.

Any more parents here? How do you avoid curling (a.k.a. helicopter parenting) too much?  ::)
I never give them things for free, but I do notice a tendency that it feels 'too easy' compared to how it was when I grew up.
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline Beardmith

Re: Fortnite! and helicopter parenting...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »
It's an interesting balance. My parents went as far as getting rid of TV's entirely and though I read more than my kids do, I was always a reader anyway and I don't think the lack of TV made a difference and I just watched TV at my friend's houses. When I complained one day to my kid that she didn't read she rightly pointed out that she read all day long. Both at school and also at home. Whether it was an article explaining how to do art or reading and writing cheesy minecraft fanfics, they are still reading just via different mediums than we are used to. Don't get me wrong, I think actually picking up a book is important and there is some research out there to suggest the brain absorbs material read from books better, but really it's better than nothing.

As for STEM topics I get what you mean. I enrolled my kids in "Build your own robot" camps, coding for kids, science camps etc etc etc but tbh they're still mostly little glue eaters. *shrug* They will find their way.

As for Fortnite, the old Dad in me thinks it can be dangerous unchecked, but the kid in me remembers spending 10 hours a day on MUD's and WOW when I had time and etc etc etc. I think your idea to play with them is the best one.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:53:44 pm by Beardmith »

Offline Ebert Von Snappenhausen

• Örf!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 06:46:45 pm »
Sämst på Fortnite?
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline rille

"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline rille

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 07:26:20 pm »
As for Fortnite, the old Dad in me thinks it can be dangerous unchecked, but the kid in me remembers spending 10 hours a day on MUD's and WOW when I had time and etc etc etc. I think your idea to play with them is the best one.

Yeah, I think we all know how that goes.
They might even start finding insane people on the internet. ;)