Author Topic: Christmas plans  (Read 165 times)

Offline Ebert Von Snappenhausen

• Örf!
Christmas plans
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:15:31 pm »
Y halo thar!

How are you planning to spend Christmas or the holidays? Do you have any special traditions or similar? Do you buy gifts early or the last minute? What do you eat? What do you like or dislike? And are you a pie?

Örf.
If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline rille

Re: Christmas plans
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:29:31 pm »
Going to Gran Canaria next week.
Back to new years. :)

Screw the classical christmas bla. Bla.
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

• Örf!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 12:16:56 am »
Why so negative riljek?

Does anyone have a "classic Christmas"? Last year we had pasta bolognese on Christmas eve and a strange young couple over, who needed shelter for the night.

If there is a thread, I'll post in it. If I post in it, it will die. That is the cycle of the Walrus.

When people see me lurkin', they go pomgwtfnoesbbq and guestify. Are you a pretty little guest now too?

Offline Beardmith

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »
As some of you may remember, I grew up a Jehovah's Witness so Christmas was always kind of bittersweet for me without my extended family. However, this year for the first time, enough of the fam have left the cult and we're throwing a big Christmas Eve party which I am looking forward to. This will also be the first Christmas since Amanda and I separated so that will be kind of a thing as well....

Offline rille

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 07:37:33 pm »
As some of you may remember, I grew up a Jehovah's Witness so Christmas was always kind of bittersweet for me without my extended family. However, this year for the first time, enough of the fam have left the cult and we're throwing a big Christmas Eve party which I am looking forward to. This will also be the first Christmas since Amanda and I separated so that will be kind of a thing as well....

Life is too complicated sometimes.

My parents and sister decided my little illness (stage IV cancer) wasn't too much to worry about.
So now I keep them at an arms length. On two years I have probably seen my sister twice?
Before hat they were mostly rude, I didn't think you could get jealous that your kid is doing good, but obviously I was wrong (again).
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline mahiro

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 11:46:47 am »
Sorry to hear about the family issues.   

I am spending it with parental units and sister's family. 
I can run faster scared than you can angry.

Offline Nasojiti

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 03:14:14 pm »
Having Christmas with my parents, of course, one of them is in hospital so hohohoo.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

• Örf!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:25:21 am »
Thanks for all the responses.

Beardsmith, sorry to hear about your separation. Hopefully this year a family party will be good.

Mahstah, enjoy your time!

Riljek, no one cares for your lowered or nonexistant immune system?

Snaso-naso, not fun. Try to stay strong?

As for myself, we spent last Christmas with a young couple who we met on our trip to North Cyprus, and invited them to stay since they had a nine hour drive home in the freezing weather. My mother and I had gone on the trip since she didn't want to stay at home for Christmas, as my father had died suddenly earlier in the year. So we made new friends and had some nontraditional food, seeing how all the stores had closed early. 

Offline rille

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 08:51:59 am »
Riljek, no one cares for your lowered or nonexistant immune system?

Understanding isn't always easy. It's back to normal values now. :)
There was times when things could have gone in different directions, I told them that it's important to keep good relations with my kids if they wanted any in the future.
(my wife will probably cut them off otherwise if I'm not around; it's probably that northern finnish blood... you get what I mean...)

Having Christmas with my parents, of course, one of them is in hospital so hohohoo.

I idle on irc if you want to talk about it. I had my share of weeks/months at hospital.
So far I have just gotten good news when life is grimm, but I think I know how I'll die, if that helps.
I made my preparations at 35. I'm satisfied with it. I did good even if it would be short, right now it doesn't look like it. :)

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:49:46 am »
Why so negative riljek?

Does anyone have a "classic Christmas"? Last year we had pasta bolognese on Christmas eve and a strange young couple over, who needed shelter for the night.

Did the couple taste good, then?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

• Örf!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
Can't complain.

Offline Rick

• Omg hi 2 U.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 04:05:10 pm »
Staying at home with my gf, so she can program robots, and so we don't drive across this small country, just to sit around and chit chat.
Technically there's a new nephew to look at, but all babies look the same, so no point in that either.
The simplest thing is to work with n-dimensional Minkowski spacetime.

Offline rille

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 05:31:10 pm »
Gran Canaria today :D

• Örf!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:47 pm »
(my wife will probably cut them off otherwise if I'm not around; it's probably that northern finnish blood... you get what I mean...)

No idea. All finns are known to be reasonable and chill people... haha I kid! Just take all knives or mora knivar away and you should be good. :D

Offline rille

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:11 am »
Yeah

No idea. All finns are known to be reasonable and chill people... haha I kid! Just take all knives or mora knivar away and you should be good. :D

Yeah, ’reasonable’ up to some level. ;-)
But good luck repairing that if I’m gone in the future.
That annoys me. :)

Christmas eve soon! :D Merry christmas!
May you all have lots of fish!

(Admin have to approve all new accounts; I heard he is pretty clever with emails so should probably see less bots now) ;)

• Örf!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 07:52:48 pm »
Fish? That's all we had this year! And a small ham tomorrow.