Author Topic: America's Army  (Read 460 times)

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
America's Army
« on: June 10, 2003, 06:09:11 PM »
Haven't played the game before, but apparently there's a Linux version out now.  More details here:

http://www.happypenguin.org/show?America%27s%20Army

Nice to see propaganda games are not just for Windows anymore. :D

Anyone actually tried the game before?
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline Nuada

America's Army
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 10:41:47 PM »
Nope.  I heard that noone plays the bad guys in it...as far as a player is concerned he's a US soldier as are his team mates and the opposition is always seen as terrorists, after that why bother?
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline Vigilante

• http://www.ohnoes.org
America's Army
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 11:03:52 PM »
I've played it. It's a fair shooter. Somewhat between the lethality and tactics of Rainbow Six and the movement of Counterstrike.

The team thing is not a big deal. You have "Friendly" and "Opposition" teams, and your teammate model/skins are US Army and enemies are miscelleneous terrorists.

This does solve the problem of being auto-switched and forgetting what team you're on, which happens occasionally in counterstrike. Of course, it does disappoint those who have some vested interest in pretending to kill American soldiers; so sorry, Jihad.

Offline Olli

America's Army
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 06:37:16 AM »
Hey Soupie, you might want to check this out :)
http://www.gentoo.org/news/20030515-games.xml

They guys at Gentoo came up with a self-bootable version of America's Army, meaning: you don't need an OS to run it :)  Ofcourse you won't need it, but it's quite neeto
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
America's Army
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 07:53:50 AM »
Yeah, I've had a look at Gentoo Games.  Pretty interesting concept.  I wonder how well it would work at booting and figuring out graphics cards and stuff.  Apparently they've also done that RTC Wolfenstein sequel/exansion thingie as well on a bootable CD.

Offline Olli

America's Army
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 08:00:53 AM »
Point is that they only support some videocards: NVIDIA and the newer ATI cards, which I find personally totally logical, since those are the two brands that actually matter if you're a gamer.

I think it's quite simple to let them recognize your card: they don't have to. They load the kernel in your RAM including support for these cards and off you go :)
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
America's Army
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 08:08:27 AM »
Hmm, surprising.  Better out-of-the-box support in those games for NVIDIA cards than most proper distributions. :)

But then there's network play...

Offline Olli

America's Army
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 02:12:01 PM »
I'll try it out one of these days, and I'll let you know how it works, I'm really interested.. means that you don't have to load a whole OS in your RAM and there is nothing running in the background, should improve the performance quite a bit :D

Offline rille

America's Army
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 07:02:02 PM »
I wonder what the US army wants with this game. More morons willing to hold guns? Its a shame :P
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline Megan

America's Army
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 07:15:39 PM »
Well, if the US Army had manufactured it, it would cost approximately $8 billion per copy, would run only on half-dead 386's, and require three grunts on bicycles to run.

:)
Mysterious Foreign Woman

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam

Offline Vigilante

• http://www.ohnoes.org
America's Army
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 07:32:45 PM »
Err... it was developed by US Army programmers, Nogs, with tax dollars in the military budget (which is why it is distributed freely in the US - you've already paid for it).

And of course it was developed for training and recruitment purposes. Doesn't mean you're pressed into service after clicking "Download Now."

Offline Runic

• http://www.livejournal.com/users/glimmer
America's Army
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 08:26:13 PM »
and they're awfully touchy about telling people where to get cheats.
"Tomorrow owes you the sum of your yesterdays.  No more than that."  Amber looked out to the sea again.  "And no less.  Sometimes folk wish tomorrow did not pay them off so completely."
-Amber ("Madship" by Robin Hobb)

Offline Thin

America's Army
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2003, 09:10:45 AM »
call me a cynic but I'm disturbed at the thought of a military organisation using fps for recruitment.

internal training is fine, though.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
America's Army
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2003, 01:08:41 PM »
Uncle Sam wants YOU, Thin Spirits.  Join now! :|