Author Topic: Sweet mother of system requirements!  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
Sweet mother of system requirements!
« on: January 06, 2004, 11:03:47 am »
So I was at a department store the other day, browsing the electronics and games.  I noticed there's a Silent Hill 3 now, something I wasn't aware had been released yet.  And I also noticed it was for the PC (as opposed to the usual Playstation)!  Cool, I thought.  I might buy it.  Then I checked the bloody system requirements, and my eyes literally popped right out of their sockets*.

Bloody 1GHz processor minimum (mine's 850MHz), DVD-ROM (I have one, but I've never seen DVD-ROM PC games yet), 256MB RAM (I only just have that thanks to a recent upgrade), and a video card that excludes the GeForce 4 MX (which I also upgraded to recently, and have been very happy with, speed-wise).  What the fuck are these people smoking, thinking they can get away with requirements as bloated as these?!  From what I can remember, some sort of GeForce 3 was supported though.  And yet they don't support the common, run-of-the-mill GeForce 4 MX?  WTF?!  Why did they even bother releasing a PC version if they're going to give us such absurd hardware requirements?

Oh well, I'll probably buy the Playstation 2 version one day.  I assume they do actually have a Playstation 2 version.  Or do they require us to attach a fucking flux capacitor to the console first to achieve the correct speed?!

*Not literally.
Gimme the good old days when a pair of
boobs were a couple of dumb guys.

Offline Thin

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 11:09:25 am »
Have you been drinking?

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 11:19:11 am »
Nah, I'm usually saner when I've been drinking.

Offline Thin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 11:21:04 am »
Shame.

Hey, next weekend we're gonna be down in Adelaide staying in my new and empty house. Pm me if you want details, mobile, address etc if you want to drop by and have a beer.

Offline Nuada

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 01:52:28 pm »
LOL!  'Upgrading' to a GF4mx!!!????:  Man the GF3 has more grunt in it than that thing.  The GF4mx was created to squeeze even more cash out of people who look at system requirements! :lol:
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 02:09:43 pm »
*sigh* Must we start with this again, Irish?

The GeForce4 MX was the cheapest card going, so they certainly didn't "squeeze" any cash out of me.  And yes, I said upgrading.  I'm not the sort of person that buys a new GeForce card every time the version increments.  It's a hell of a lot better than my old TNT2, that's for sure.  All I wanted was a card that was a bit newer and could do the job.  And it does.

Offline Nuada

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 02:14:32 pm »
But you could havwe gotten a better Gf3 for less cash......did you read up on video cards before buying?
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 02:22:57 pm »
Read up?  Not much.  I don't give a shit about hardware, as long as it works.  I also don't use a lot of 3D, since I generally dislike FPS.  Besides, it was a new store having their opening sale, the card was going for bugger all cost, and I don't think they were selling anything less than GeForce 4's.

If I get totally pissed off with my current card (not likely, at least for a couple of years), I'll just go buy a new one.

Offline Nuada

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 04:01:19 pm »
Then you should understand that those system specs aren't high....you just bought a shite card :P

Sober men and sages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Offline Nadir

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 04:52:19 pm »
Have to agree with Nuada, GF4 MX was even released before GF3 got out. In regards of performance, it is slightly better than a GF2 Pro but worse than a GF3 (even the slowest GF3). It was bloody cheap though IIRC. Shouldnt complain to much about those Sys reqs either. Prince of Persia didnt even start if you had anything less than GF3 in your computer. And that excluded me who had a GF2, and those who had GF4 MX.

Thanks to eBay i now have a Radeon 9800 Pro which i got bloody cheap considering the prices in sweden. :)
If evolution exists at all, it likely explains why there are big, small, round, long, green, red and green tomatoes. It in no way explains why there are tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and peppers. The explanation is salad"

www.fstdt.com - need i say more? ;)

Offline Nuada

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 06:43:08 pm »
Just remembered The Fellowship of the Ring for the PC.  The sis got this when it came out which is well over a year ago and that insisted your card had hardware T&L.  This was the piece of shite that had graphics from '97 and invisible walls 3foot from the edge of the roadways.  Man that 'game' was shite.......

Sober men and sages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Offline Runic

• http://www.livejournal.com/users/glimmer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 08:09:53 pm »
Isn't that much RAM the recomended minimum for XP?  Less than a gig processor is getting to be rather slow now adays, so that's not to bad.  The only possible extreme requirment would be the DVD drive, but I'd prefer one DVD to something like 4 CDs.
"Tomorrow owes you the sum of your yesterdays.  No more than that."  Amber looked out to the sea again.  "And no less.  Sometimes folk wish tomorrow did not pay them off so completely."
-Amber ("Madship" by Robin Hobb)

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 08:19:25 pm »
I fucking hate multidisc games - which only exist to please people who can't be bothered to get a new drive because their old one "still works".

Dumbshits.
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline Nadir

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 10:23:52 pm »
Hey, i havent been bothered to get a DVD yet :P

But then, since i get all games in .bin format anyway, why bother? I dont even have my CD drive connected ATM. Will get a DVD-RW as soon as i get enough money though. Mmmmm... Burn 4.7gigs on one dvd.
If evolution exists at all, it likely explains why there are big, small, round, long, green, red and green tomatoes. It in no way explains why there are tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and peppers. The explanation is salad"

Offline rille

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 11:23:59 pm »
Well, I got a second hand GeForec3 for a bit above $40.
The GF4MX cards were around $60.

Though my new computer doesn't like it very much :P
So I almost wish I had gotten that GF4MX card instead. (which didn't have any noisy fan)
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline HeretiC

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 01:25:54 am »
GF4MX AGPx8 are better than GF3's. the old mx's were total crap but they have updated them.

oh and never believe system requirments. 1GHZ...ahahahahahah you think thats big? :P
MS Hearts is the epitamy of all evil and the cause of metal anguish.

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 04:01:45 am »
I'm just comparing the system requirements to what most games have had lately.  Most of them all have simliar system requirements that slowly increase at a steady rate as more graphical bells and whistles and programmer laziness is added to the latest games.  And compared to them, SH3 was extreme.  Sure, the latest processors are much more than 1GHz these days.  But not everyone has them.

Ugh, and the GeForce 3 has a cooling fan?  No way would I buy it then.  I already get pissed off by the noisy heap of shit sitting over my processor.

Offline Thin

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 09:41:54 am »
But its so cold! I like ti when you can add random shit into your box. It makes you feel like you're some sort of pirate.

Even if you feel kinda lame for installing Microsoft products anyway...

Offline rille

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004, 01:09:07 pm »
GF4MX AGPx8 are better than GF3's. the old mx's were total crap but they have updated them.

oh and never believe system requirments. 1GHZ...ahahahahahah you think thats big? :P

I put them about equal.
The GF4MX lacks some functions :(

And games today arn't very CPU dependant (on a playable level)
more like graphic accelerator dependant.. Going up 1Ghz doesn't do that much in heavy 3d graphical games if you have a crap video card. I basically get the same scores as 1Ghz slower systems with my GF3 (which is a cheap Ti200 with only 64Mb)

And yeah.. GF3 seems to get hot. Probably not as hot a the later family but still way too hot for my ears so I'll have to change ;) Have to priorize some things. 1GHz extra does wonders to desktop applications. :) So are there any progressive cooled card with pixelshaders and so on?
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 07:24:40 pm »
Hey, i havent been bothered to get a DVD yet :P

Get a DVD drive, biatch. If all prehistorical monkeys had thought the way you do, we'd still be living in trees.

EDIT: And GS, just put a Zalman passive cooler on the GF3. Works wonders.
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline rille

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 01:37:45 am »
[..]

Get a DVD drive, biatch. If all prehistorical monkeys had thought the way you do, we'd still be living in trees.

EDIT: And soupie, just put a Zalman passive cooler on the GF3. Works wonders.

Sorry, I'm the one with the GF3. :D
And a Zalman cooler would cost just as much as what I gave for the card itself so that is a no no ;)

Offline IRC Ish

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 08:39:52 pm »
nah just rip the dvd into an iso and play it rom daemon tools.  course you'd need a dvd drive to do that wouldn't you?  bah just download it then.

Oh and think those requirements are harsh wait till doom3 and HL2 come out :D :lol:

and yes the silent hill 3 has been out for ps2 for a while.  I could never play sh2 due to the camera angles it gave me... walking/running down a hallway seeing 2 feet in front of me, seeing the entire hallway behind me?

Offline Nadir

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 02:20:45 am »
Exactly. Why bother getting a dvd when i wont buy any DVDs in any case? Daemon Tools can mount DVD images too you know. :PI dont buy games any longer (they have simply gotten too expensive). At least, i dont buy any new games any longer, and all old games are still on CDs.

Offline rille

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 02:19:36 pm »
I buy the good games...
The games that last forever such as StarCraft ;)

Offline Auryn

• Pretty Androgynous
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2004, 05:27:16 am »
"]I buy the good games...
The games that last forever such as StarCraft ;)

Are you kidding?  That game was just a bloody futuristic version of Warcraft.  Same old tired shit, with even crappier looking graphics (in my opinion).