Author Topic: News  (Read 688 times)

Offline TouchTone

News
« on: August 23, 2004, 10:14:54 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/08/09/cuddling.parties.2.reut/index.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- It's not about sex and all about the touchy-feely experience of snuggling up to perfect strangers wearing pajamas.

The grab fests are called cuddle parties, and since they started in New York in February, hundreds of people have paid $30 each to touch and embrace others in intimate gatherings.

Everyone needs to be cuddled, especially in lonely New York, say creators Reid Mihalko and Marcia Baczynski, who say it's a good way to meet new and interesting people.

But the rules are clear. The PJs stay on the whole time.

In case things get too steamy, a small chime is kept on hand. Before the cuddling begins, the chime is struck several times so everyone gets the message.

"We've never used it," said Mihalko, who said sexual arousal does occur.

The idea for cuddle parties loosely came about after Mihalko, a 14-year masseur, began giving massages to other masseurs who never got the chance to receive them.

Signs that people need to be touched were brought home one day when Mihalko said he noticed a woman bawling from the emotional release that a massage provided her at an outdoor stand in midtown Manhattan.

"It started out as a joke," Baczynski said. "Now we talk about cuddling all the time. It's just been amazing."

Curiosity is a big driver for people who attend cuddle parties, and it is a better way to meet people than going to a bar, getting drunk and spending the night with someone just because of the need for some affection, she said.

A cuddle party is really about communication and not therapy, say the organizers.

Before any touching begins, participants gather in a circle to hear the rules and voice any questions or concerns. The first rule is that the event is not clothing optional, pajamas must stay on and sex is not permitted.

Participants team up into pairs, and to ensure the boundaries of what is permissible are clear, they practice saying "no" to the question, "May I kiss you?"

An introduction to cuddling ensues, first by hugging three people. People then get in a circle on their hands and knees, rub shoulders and moo like cows. After a bit of swaying, everyone falls to their side, which puts them into an easy cuddling position.

Cuddle parties are intended for people who are emotionally sound. People in therapy or who are seeing a mental health professional are asked to consult their doctor before signing up for a party and to tell organizers of their situation.

One group on an overcast Sunday drew a mix of mostly single people in their 30s and a smattering of older people.

A repeat customer who called herself a born-again Christian said it was good to cuddle up to another person, albeit a perfect stranger, after a hectic week.

"I felt good. I had a particularly stressful week," said the woman, who did not wish to be named.

Friends had warned her that the parties would be nothing more than thinly disguised preludes to sex, but she dismissed those worries as alarmist and unfounded, saying, "It's not about sex."

Like others, the chance to meet someone was a consideration in attending a cuddle party.

"People in a way are looking for a connection," Fernando said. "It's weird, but not unusual."

A man named Dwayne H., who described himself as introverted, said he thought the parties would help him relax before strangers and help him express his feelings.

"I have a problem showing emotion," he said.
I'll let you play with my buttons.

Offline Dax

• http://www.myspace.com/daxlet
News
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 06:35:55 PM »
i've heard about these.

I thought that cuddling was the reason we had pets...

Dax, who needs a kitty...
One time, I saw a shark bite a whale.

Offline Fred's Bimbo Girl

News
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 04:34:40 AM »
kitties are great for cuddling.

and strange though it may be coming from me, i find that whole idea a bit creepy. it's one thing to cuddle your friends, a totally other thing to cuddle strangers in your pyjamas! :shock:
i'm just attracted to shiny things. and soft
fluffy things. god help me if someone ever invents a soft fluffy shiny thing.

i always knew i had to let go of dax's virginity some day *sigh*

Offline Aimless

News
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 12:26:29 PM »
I need some kitty too :(
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Offline Thin

News
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 12:52:02 PM »
We all do :(

Offline TouchTone

News
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:06:53 PM »
damn i thought of a verry witty remark.... but i forgot... damn you brain ... damn you!!!

Offline TouchTone

News
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 11:19:43 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/23/walmart.wedding.ap/index.html

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Somewhere between the junk food aisle and the automotive department, Pat Byrd and Bill Hughes fell in love.

So it was only natural that they should marry where the magic happened -- Wal-Mart.

"It never dawned on me to have it anyplace else," said the 55-year-old bride.

Neither bride nor groom work at the discount store. Still, they spend more time there than many employees do, wandering the aisles and visiting friends for up to six hours a day, nearly every day since the store opened two years ago.

"I talk to people and walk around for exercise, and we always buy a soda or a sandwich or something," 51-year-old Hughes said. "If we're not here, the store people worry about us. They're our family."

Both Pat Byrd and Bill Hughes are disabled. They met nine years ago, when Bill was a patient at a North Idaho hospital and so was Pat's sister.

"He became a good friend, and when my sister died, we kept him in the family," she said. "He doesn't drive, and any time he went to Wal-Mart, I'd take him."

They celebrated their blooming love with a ceremony Friday in Wal-Mart's garden center. The store manager was a groomsman, and a fabric department employee was matron of honor.

A garden center employee, Chuck Foruria, walked alongside Pat as she rode her motorized shopping cart down the makeshift aisle, her oxygen tank in the basket.

"Who gives this woman in marriage?" asked Stacey Garza of the Free Will Church.

"Her friends and family at Wal-Mart," Foruria replied.

Offline Mordeth

News
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 11:58:20 AM »
Cuddle parties are intended for people who are emotionally sound. People in therapy or who are seeing a mental health professional are asked to consult their doctor before signing up for a party and to tell organizers of their situation.
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Dax

News
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 07:40:46 PM »
Classy.  Like a dream.

Dax, who sadly, has a cool wedding planned out (as well as the China)...

Offline mahiro

News
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 10:10:17 AM »
My brother once told me he saw a wedding take place in a McDonald's. :o
I can run faster scared than you can angry.

Offline TouchTone

News
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 01:43:09 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/08/25/germany.dictionary.reut/index.html

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- A leading German dictionary publisher plans to launch a guide it says will help men translate the subtext of female conversation.

The Langenscheidt publishing group, best known for its well-respected yellow foreign language dictionaries, will launch sales of a 128-page book to translate such baffling female banter as: "Let's just cuddle" into "No sex tonight please!."

"Each themed chapter offers men behavioral tips and exposes hidden messages transmitted by women in everyday situations, such as on holiday or during shopping trips," said Silke Exius, chief editor at Langenscheidt.

Other examples in the "German-Woman/Woman-German" edition due out in October include explaining why a woman asks a man to take interest in the pair of shoes she may be trying on.

She wants him to look because he's about to pay for them.

Offline Mordeth

News
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »

Offline Thin

News
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 07:37:08 PM »
If you have a news article that might be worthy of comment but probably doesn't promote discussion, then use this thread, otherwise the damn forum gets flooded with un-replied topics. Yeah, just like the links thread on Freaky Central.

Anything posted in here which promotes discussion will be split, and anything posted out of here which doesn't will be deleted or moved

I added a few topics in here, but was too lazy to clean up the whole lot. But you get the picture. Funny/silly stories that dont really have a point. Put them in here or Have soupie or LK deal with them in Freaky Central, please ;).

Offline Dax

News
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 10:02:53 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/27/jaw.transplant.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- A German who had his lower jaw cut out because of cancer has enjoyed his first meal in nine years -- a bratwurst sandwich -- after surgeons grew a new jaw bone in his back muscle and transplanted it to his mouth in what experts call an "ambitious'' experiment.

According to this week's issue of The Lancet medical journal, the German doctors used a mesh cage, a growth chemical and the patient's own bone marrow, containing stem cells, to create a new jaw bone that fit exactly into the gap left by the cancer surgery.

Tests have not been done yet to verify whether the bone was created by the blank-slate stem cells and it is too early to tell whether the jaw will function normally in the long term.

But the operation is the first published report of a whole bone being engineered and incubated inside a patient's body and transplanted.

Stem cells are the master cells of the body that go on to become every tissue in the body. They are a hot area of research with scientists trying to find ways to prompt them to make desired tissues, and perhaps organs.

But while researchers debate whether the technique resulted in a scientific advance involving stem cells, the operation has achieved its purpose and changed a life, said Stan Gronthos, a stem cell expert at the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science in Adelaide, Australia.

"A patient who had previously lost his mandible (lower jaw) through the result of a destructive tumor can now sit down and chew his first solid meals in nine years ... resulting in an improved quality of life,'' said Gronthos, who was not connected with the experiment.

The operation was done by Dr. Patrick Warnke, a reconstructive facial surgeon at the University of Kiel in Germany. The patient, a 56-year-old man, had his lower jaw and half his tongue cut out almost a decade ago after getting mouth cancer. Since then, he had only been able to slurp soft food or soup from a spoon.

In similar cases, doctors can sometimes replace a lost jawbone by cutting out a piece of bone from the lower leg or from the hip and chiseling it to fit into the mouth.

This patient could not have that procedure because he was taking a potent blood thinner for another condition and doctors considered it too dangerous to harvest bone from elsewhere in his body since extraction leaves a hole where the bone is taken, creating an extra risk of bleeding.

Artificial jaws made from plastic or other materials are not used because they pose too much of a risk of infection.

"He demanded reconstruction,'' Warnke said. "This patient was really sick of living.''

Warnke and his group began by creating a virtual jaw on a computer, after making a three-dimensional scan of the patient's mouth.

CT scan shows new jaw in place.  
The information was used to create a thin titanium micro-mesh cage. Several cow-derived pure bone mineral blocks the size of sugar lumps where then put inside the structure, along with a human growth factor that builds bone and a large squirt of blood extracted from the man's bone marrow, which contains stem cells.

The surgeons then implanted the mesh cage and its contents into the muscle below the patient's right shoulder blade. He was given no drugs, other than routine antibiotics to prevent infection from the surgery.

The implant was left in for seven weeks, when scans showed new bone formation. It was removed about eight weeks ago, along with some surrounding muscle and blood vessels, put in the man's mouth and connected to the blood vessels in his neck.

Scans showed new bone continued to form after the transplant.

Four weeks after the operation, the man ate a German sausage sandwich, his first real meal in nine years. He eats steak now, but complains to his doctor that because he has no teeth he has to cut it into such small pieces that by the time he gets to the end of the steak, it's cold.

He has reported no pain or any other difficulties associated with the transplant, Warnke said, adding that he hopes to be able to remove the mesh and implant teeth in the new jaw about a year from now.

Paul Brown, head of the Center for Tissue Regeneration Science at University College in London, said it's not clear any major scientific ground has been broken, and tests may not be able to show whether the new bone came from stem cells, rather than from the growth factor alone.

The operation put established techniques together, resembling a well-known experiment in which University of Massachusetts scientists grew a human ear using a mold on the back of a mouse in 1995, he said.

"If you put loads of blocks of bone mineral into a hole and you induce cellular activity by putting in growth factors, it's a standard approach that people have used to induce the body's own response,'' said Brown, who was not connected with the study. "Clearly some of them are going to work and it sounds like for this patient, this has worked.''

Biopsies of the jaw bone could later provide some answers on the quality of the bone, experts said.

"Just making the gross tissue shape right isn't really the problem,'' Brown said. "It's what the shape of the tissue is at the microscopic and ultramicroscopic level. That's the architecture which is so tricky and which is what gives function.''

Offline Thin

News
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 06:55:51 AM »
Shit. Imagine growing your new jaw on your back :|

Offline Erin

• http://tusker.org/gallery/Wedding
News
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 02:53:13 PM »
ow! i bit my shoulder!
I lub j00

One day, when he was naughty. Mr Bunnsy looked over the hedge into Farmer Fred's field and it was full of fresh green lettuces. Mr Bunnsy, however, was not full of lettuces. This did not seem fair.

Offline Gholam

News
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 04:19:10 PM »
There was a guy that had his ear re-attached to his genitals for a time being so that it could get a good blood flow.

On JJJ, local radio station the comment was made that if the same thing happened to his other ear he would be the new and improved elephant man ;)

Offline Mordeth

News
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 02:25:48 PM »

Offline Mordeth

News
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 01:48:28 PM »
15:45 Thursday October 21st 2004

Singer Christy Moore has revealed he was held for two hours on Monday by British police at Holyhead under anti-terrorism legislation.

He had travelled there by ferry on his way to a series of concerts in the UK.

In a statement through his publicist this afternoon, Christy Moore describes the incident as threatening and frightening.

Mr Moore has said he and his driver were questioned in separate rooms but his van was not searched nor his instrument cases or equipment.

He has said he found the whole experience threatening he faced questions about lyrics in his songs the contents of his briefcase and personal questions about his family and children back home.

The singer has said at no time did he get an explanation as to why he was being held.

Mr Moore has said he found the whole affair fighting and the feeling he is left with now some days later is one of sadness because he thought this kind of behaviour toward Irish people heading towards the UK was a thing of the past.

He said both he and his driver have given full statements to the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Irish Ambassador in London.
http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/i...3?ca=9&si=62738

questioned about the lyrical content of his songs? his van wasn't even searched?  what the fuck?