Author Topic: Spoilage? Chad? What is this arcane election stuff??  (Read 515 times)

Offline Aimless

Spoilage? Chad? What is this arcane election stuff??
« on: November 05, 2004, 06:04:57 PM »
http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=392&row=0

From the article:
The election in Ohio was not decided by the voters but by something called "spoilage." Typically in the United States, about 3 percent of the vote is voided, just thrown away, not recorded. When the bobble-head boobs on the tube tell you Ohio or any state was won by 51 percent to 49 percent, don't you believe it ... it has never happened in the United States, because the total never reaches a neat 100 percent. The television totals simply subtract out the spoiled vote.

I honestly don't know enough to be able to decide whether the man has a good point or not.

What the hell is a hung chad?
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Offline The Almighty Stick

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 09:08:34 PM »
It means the Democrats are coming up with another reason that their candidate lost in the election.

Offline Aimless

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 09:12:30 PM »
Yes, yes, yes, but is it a legitimate criticism?
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Offline The Almighty Stick

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 09:22:12 PM »
No, it happens everywhere to anyone. Its not just that the Democrats make all the mistakes in voting. The electronic voting systems were thought to be an attempt to correct those mistakes, but of course had problems of their own.

Offline IRC Ish

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 11:32:11 PM »
well i know of two types of voting ballots, ones where you fill in a circle (like a multipl choice question) and ones where you poke out a hole,  if you don't poke out the entire peferated hole leaving the center piece  attached it is called a hung chad.

it is a legitamite concern as it means some peoples votes wern't counted because they couldn't follow instructions. and a reason to move on to better voting meathods, but in all honestly you would think that as many dems as rep would have made the same mistake.

Offline pBluescript

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 01:26:18 AM »
just goes to show, rep are better at poking a chad then demos.
Old Myrrdrall never die, they just slowly Fade away

Offline Piter

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 04:27:38 AM »
What about something like this?

That way you have the illiterate people covered as well.. Possible even add the colours red (rep) and blue (dem)?

Offline TPFNAM

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 08:25:20 AM »
For some reason I just get freaked out by electronic voting. It seems like it would be too easy to fuck with. Especially if there is no paper trail.

Offline IRC Ish

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 05:49:31 PM »
i believe there were storys of people playing solitare and browsing the web on the computer ballot machines tested in primarys...  but yeah precisely why they haven't been done is due to insecurity in such a ballot.

imagine a line of code stuck in changing every 20th vote to someone else,  or having choices not made, made for you.
ex.  You don't like either canidate, but want to vote on another matter, you leave that vote blank,  computer changes that  to a vote to someone.