Author Topic: Arafat died  (Read 296 times)

Offline pBluescript

Arafat died
« on: November 17, 2004, 12:46:35 AM »
Any thoughts on how thing will change in the Middle East?  Will there be more war or a chance of peace?

pBluescript: who is suprised this has not yet been discussed.
Old Myrrdrall never die, they just slowly Fade away

Offline Thin

Arafat died
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:28:23 AM »
Yeah, I think his death has a slightly de-stabilising effect on the Palestinian/Israelite situation... it may even lead to infighting in the Palestinian front. The Israelites may try and capitalise on the situation and push further.... who knows.

Anyway, I'm not going to condone many of Arafats actions, but I will say that he was good as a figurehead, a leader that could be dealt with, as opposed to the terrorist leaders in the region.

Offline AshtrayMonument

Arafat died
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 08:48:01 AM »
RIP.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Cthulhu

• Hipper Than Jesus
  • Come to the dark side. We have cookies!
    • http://www.almightytallest.com
Arafat died
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 09:28:20 AM »
Whether or not this is a cause for sadness is yet to be determined.

I will admit that I know little of the Palestinian power structure underneath Arafat.  But I do know that the Palestinian people loved Yasser dearly, and he solidified them in a way that made Israelis lie awake at night.

I have a hard time believing that there is somebody else who will be able to step into Arafat's position and maintain control over the Palestinians.  This may be a good thing for Israel, but then again, it may not.

Palestinians fighting Israelis is bad enough, but Palestinians fighting each other and Israelis means that the Middle East is, believe it or not, going to get a lot more violent.
I remember that it rained for years / And the blood, it left a stain

Offline AshtrayMonument

Arafat died
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:28:03 AM »
As if the mossad didn't organise arafats death.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.