Author Topic: Shadowmarch  (Read 717 times)

Offline Thin

Shadowmarch
« on: December 25, 2004, 02:05:26 AM »
I got my bro to buy it for me for Christmas. It's Tad William's latest work.

Before I start, anything I should know about it? (NO SPOILERS) did you like/hate it?

Offline Aimless

Shadowmarch
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 11:44:42 AM »
It's * and I thought it sucked, and all the good characters die at the end.

I read only a little from it, and was annoyed by the use of the present tense, but otherwise it appeared to be a good read. I do believe Aan/Avi loved it, however.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Offline Mordeth

Shadowmarch
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »
it rocks
enormous amounts of rock

and a friend I loaned it too a while ago agrees with me, Great book.

A bit too similar to his other books in places... and a lil bit of generic fantasy storyline, but wth.. it's a good story, well written and omg... THE MYSTERY
Lesbians shouldnt be allowed to use dildos. They have made their choice

My balls are exceptional, but not weird.

Offline Aan`allein

• http://weblog.juima.org/
Shadowmarch
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 10:21:13 AM »
I read only a little from it, and was annoyed by the use of the present tense, but otherwise it appeared to be a good read. I do believe Aan/Avi loved it, however.
Present tense was only present in the online version.
The recently published book was completely rewritten to use past tense (boo-hiss!), and to add one additional storyline (yay, shiny!)

I haven't read the book yet (though a shiny hardcover edition of it is waiting at home (at the other side of the world) for me to come back to), so my impression is only based on the online thing, and it's been roughly three years since I read the largest part of that.

That said, it was good. Not great, not awesome, not Otherland-omgthisissoawesomeimbumpingtaduptothetopofmyfavoriteauthorslist-like, but good. The world and races were very interesting, and there's a certain joy in reading simple (on the surface) yet original fantasy like that.

However, if it wasn't Tad (who is a friend, and the coolest guy imaginable), I don't think Shadowmarch would be something I'd recommend to people very often. But then, I'm in a phase where pretty much all fantasy (as opposed to science fiction, and excluding the stuff written by Brust and Erikson) mostly just makes me yawn, so perhaps me saying that it's merely "good" does translate to other people going all apeshit over it. After all, it was written by Tad, who's this really amazingly awesome author. :)
May you always find shade and water,
Aan`allein - Just Imagine...

Offline Thin

Shadowmarch
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 01:02:26 PM »
Thats why I bought it really. I really enjoyed Otherland.

His first series was a little dull thought, I had hoped he might be able to improve his fantasy writing, especially after thoroughly enjoying otherland.

Offline Mordeth

Shadowmarch
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 02:29:05 PM »
memory, sorrow & thorn.. Dull?

DULL?

fucking australian

Offline Deus

Shadowmarch
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 04:57:55 PM »
I second that sentiment, Mordeth...

Memory Sorrow and Thorn is great fantasy. It starts out slow, but then we have never seen Fantasy stories do that before, have we?
Hong's 1st law:  "It's only the other people who are munchkins"
Hong's 2nd law: "Thinking too hard about fantasy is bad"
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline AshtrayMonument

Shadowmarch
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 08:29:43 AM »
Tad rocks my world.

Anybody like the War of the Flowers?

Interesting shit.
People always tell me that they're crazy. Crazy people aren't so fucking boring.

Offline Croi Boi

Shadowmarch
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »
MST is good, especially the last book.  But The Dragonbone Chair is slow as shit.  It took me months to get through that book.
there is another world
there is a better world
well, there must be.

Offline Mordeth

Shadowmarch
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:15:06 AM »
yah, I liked war of the flowers. very interesting book.

croi, hell yeah. with Dragonbone chair was a bitch to get through the first half of the book, but after that the story started to reveal itself and I never had any trouble with the series after that point :)

Offline Thin

Shadowmarch
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 01:24:16 PM »
The war of the flowers was excellent work too. I'm thinking that Tad Williams is my favourite fantasy author.

After finally finishing the book (I had to finish another book first) I'd have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that War of the flowers was a better book, but this is shaping up to be a great series.

Offline Julius

• What.
    • lulzer
Shadowmarch
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 11:59:18 PM »
But then, I'm in a phase where pretty much all fantasy (as opposed to science fiction, and excluding the stuff written by Brust and Erikson) mostly just makes me yawn, so perhaps me saying that it's merely "good" does translate to other people going all apeshit over it. After all, it was written by Tad, who's this really amazingly awesome author. :)

I find the rest of the (fantasy) world duller after reading Erikson... :( Maybe I need to find this Brust you're talking about. Science fiction is still going strong, especially after finally getting around to reading Ender's Game. :)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
God to Earth: “Cry more, noobs!”
- Marc Laidlaw

Offline Gholam

Shadowmarch
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »
Just started reading Shadowmarch earlier today, quite good so far.

Loved the Dragon Bone Chair and would have been quite happy if he had ended the series there, he didn't and I found the rest not as good as the first book.

War of the Flowers is as mentioned excellent, wasn't sure what to expect when I read it a time ago but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well I have managed to get through the first book of Otherland so far but am stuck on the second book, just can't seem to get into it, might try again another time...

Offline Dax

• http://www.myspace.com/daxlet
Shadowmarch
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
I too have this book right next to me, I totally dig it so far and I have no idea where it's going and I love that!

Dax, who needs to floss....
One time, I saw a shark bite a whale.