Author Topic: Wow...  (Read 23933 times)

Offline Croi Boi

Wow...
« on: April 22, 2005, 12:32:15 pm »
This is the fourth night running that I've been up til 5:30am...

World of Warcraft...it has consumed me.  :(
there is another world
there is a better world
well, there must be.

Offline Nasojiti

Wow...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 12:42:44 pm »
It ended up boring me. :(
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline Phoenix

Wow...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 12:51:11 pm »
Aye.. Enjoy it while it lasts (about 1 month). It's got no risk, thus no real sense of reward, thus no carrot, thus no longevity.

But hey.. It's pretty shiny for a bit.
She was divinity's creature / That kissed in cold mirrors / A Queen of Snow / Far beyond compare / Lips attuned to symmetry / Sought Her everywhere / Dark liqoured eyes / An Arabian nightmare...

Offline Aimless

Wow...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 01:04:37 pm »
And then when your balls drop you can come play GW :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Offline Iridescence

Wow...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 02:08:32 pm »
Pfft.  GW.  Not an MMORPG.  EQ2 is where it's at :)

Oh and Croi, I'm betting you let your subscription expire at about 3 months :)

*goes off to login to EQ2*
Hermaphrodite Jesus, he hides in the carport.  The neighbour car headlights shine on him, he's scared.
He stoops and he cowers, they call a policeman, they came and they siezed him, and laughed at his hair.
And Jesus hates policemen, for their hearts can know no love.
That's why every time he sees the man, he says "Hey let's beat it, it's the fuzz"

Offline Aimless

Wow...
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 02:13:45 pm »
Pfft.  GW.  Not an MMORPG.

Yep, and that's why it rocks ;) MMORPGs are for those pansy elf-loving n3rds only. *nodnod*

Offline Nuada

Wow...
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 02:17:54 pm »
Dude I haven't slept 2 days.  Right now I am so fucking knackered I typed a reply into the login screen...

Just had two cans of red bull this morning to get me into college to hand in an essay so I'm fucked as far as any real form of rest is concerned. At least I finally got my grant check today.  981 lovely little yoyos  :)

And I just hit watch this topic instead of submit... what am I doing?  I think I'm trapped here, my fingers just keep typing.....Why leave I suppose.  I'm too jaded to actually do anything and have to much go go juice in me to sleep......no I think I'll go make rice and watch a movie.  The Searchers should suit....
Lord Captain Commander of the Holy Order of Penii Warriors and Hand that Weilds the Sacred Penii.

Sober men and sages
Are Lost through the ages
All our Brave Drinkers
Shall never die.

Proud "Member" of DA 4SKIN BOYZ!

Offline Sassy

Wow...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 02:23:51 pm »
What server are you on Croi? I'm on Dragonblight.

As for EQ2 - all the EQ people (including all the Rutabagas I know) I know dropped that after a month and went to WoW and have stuck there. I, of course, couldn't even play EQ2 because you need a whole new computer for it.
Hey, man, you're harshing my mellow.

Offline The Almighty Stick

Wow...
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 02:32:28 pm »
I got in on the EQ2 beta and it was really entertaining, but I got tired of it just in time for it to go live. So I didn't purchase it, that may change however when the 'combat upgrade/rebalance' and new expansion pack for SWg comes out (major changes that amount to a complete rework of the game). Either that or I'll pick up WoW, or give up mmorpg's entirely.

On an unrelated note this is the second night I've done without sleep in a vain effort to grind through civ. pro. review. If only I could be doing something fun like playing games.

Offline Aimless

Wow...
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 02:49:50 pm »
Stick, you will pick up GW. It's just a one-time fee, so it can't hurt, and I can almost guarantee satisfaction! Don't listen to the nerdy haters!!!

Offline Phoenix

Wow...
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 03:04:29 pm »
On a more serious note, I seem to be heading towards giving up MMOG's entirely, at least on the short term. EQ still is the best game of the bunch, but my social circles that made the game playable for me are pretty much dead and gone.. WoW is no more than a single-player game that requires an internet connection.. EQ2 is pretty and shiny and has some good ideas, but I think I'm growing out of playing games for long stretches of time.

Maybe it's just a lull in energy.. I don't think I've actually had enough sleep in a while, making everything hard to enjoy.

Meh, I don't know. I do know however, that a lethargic state that's so bad you can't even be fucked to play computer games is really bloody annoying.
She was divinity's creature / That kissed in cold mirrors / A Queen of Snow / Far beyond compare / Lips attuned to symmetry / Sought Her everywhere / Dark liqoured eyes / An Arabian nightmare...

Offline rille

Wow...
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 07:06:08 pm »
I'm still hooked on StarCraft - the only game that hold my interest for a long time. :)
I might play WoW this summer if I can find someone nice to play with ;)

Otherwise, MMORPGs are currently too limited for my taste. I might play them if they were more like the real world but without limits...  which makes things kinda useless. They need to get more like Otherland before I'm hooked ;) WoW is nice because I like the warcraft characters...
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline The Artist Formerly Known As Genome

• Bearded Dictator
Wow...
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 07:34:10 pm »
I'm hooked on WoW. Though I just bought Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory today, which might take away from my Warcrafting time. Oh yeah, uni might do it as well. And work. And the constant nagging feel that I should have a social life. :D

Mostly playing with my friends, got our own guild and all. Playing on Deathwing [EU] as Mahain, in case anyone is on that server (not fucking likely :P)
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

Offline Kat

Wow...
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 10:00:24 pm »
Brainless moment: remind me what GW is?

I'm too antisocial to play MMORPGs.  And too impatient.  I had FFXI for a while there and was horrified to find it took me THIRTY HOURS to reach level TEN, and then, once I'd reached said level, horrified to find that soloing was no longer an option.  Every person I encountered in that game, whether to party up or in passing, was an asshole.  Why the hell should I die horribly unless I form a temporary, dysfunctional, poorly communicating team with illiterate idiots?  Then someone told me all MMORPGs are that way... well, fuck that shit.  Give me my single player Final Fantasy, Halo, Metroid, KOTOR etc. any day.
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline Aimless

Wow...
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 10:13:06 pm »
www.guildwars.com

www.guild-hall.net

Guild Wars is massive, it's online, it's multiplayer, and it's a game, but it's not anything like your regular MMORPGs. Nothing I can say will convince you as well as reading the sites :)

It's the best gaming experience I've ever had. No lameness, fun all the way, especially if you have some people you can talk to at the same time on voice com software :)

EDIT: Also search for "guild wars" on www.gamespot.com =)

EDIT2: In GW, you can be at most level 20, and this will take only a few days of gaming to reach (maybe longer if you're a VERY casual gamer). The game _begins_ at level 20 (ascension) you might say :) PvP is not level-dependant, it's purely skill-based (both player skill, and the skills you equip). There are no monthly fees. Action all the way through :) And the gaming is very challenging. Everything can be countered, but your team of up to 8 players can only equip 8 skills each at a time. The strategic element should give you plenty of satisfaction =) And yet the games are very fast-paced and challenging (but not messy, believe it or not).

Oh, the game's also beautiful even on fairly ordinary computers :)

MMORPGs aren't for social people, it's the exact opposite ;)

Offline rille

Wow...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 11:33:10 pm »
bah... GW whore :P
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." | Sonnet X | John Donne

Offline Sassy

Wow...
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 12:32:33 am »
Brainless moment: remind me what GW is?

I'm too antisocial to play MMORPGs.  And too impatient.  I had FFXI for a while there and was horrified to find it took me THIRTY HOURS to reach level TEN, and then, once I'd reached said level, horrified to find that soloing was no longer an option.  Every person I encountered in that game, whether to party up or in passing, was an asshole.  Why the hell should I die horribly unless I form a temporary, dysfunctional, poorly communicating team with illiterate idiots?  Then someone told me all MMORPGs are that way... well, fuck that shit.  Give me my single player Final Fantasy, Halo, Metroid, KOTOR etc. any day.

then you'd like WoW. FFXI was the absolute worst MMORPG i've ever seen. *shudder*

I solo all the time in WoW and you can solo for however long you like. Not that you HAVE to play a MMORPG :)

Offline The Almighty Stick

Wow...
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 06:55:01 am »
Guild Wars is a bit too shady for me, especially with the alternative revenue generating schemes they may cook up.

The news out of SOE with the newest SWg developments keep shocking me. The new planet they are introducing, Kashyyyk, is going to have the whole 'zone' splits like EQ2 as well as instanced zones. Its like they are purposely taking the aspects of other games that people don't like and introducing them. Its crazy. Well maybe I could go back to Eve, that was fun for a while.

Oh and if anybody wants to check out a pretty need single player rpg look up Mount & Blade http://www.taleworlds.com/ Its pretty fun.

Offline Thin

Wow...
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 07:14:03 am »
I would enjoy mmrpg's heaps, but i really cant join one, it would take up too much of my allready limited time.

Offline Iridescence

Wow...
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 10:52:12 am »
See, I'd play WoW, but I loathe solo playing in an MMORPG.  If I wanted to play a solo game, I would.  I LIKE that you can solo in EQ2, but grouping exp is encouraged and not totally gimped like WoW.  There's no point to grouping in WoW because there was no exp and you'd get people to join and as soon as they finished their quest they'd piss off to do the hand in and leave you in the lurch.  Nope, not for me.

Good luck to the Rutae in WoW.  I hope they have fun.  I like where I am now and I have a fantastic guild who I'm really happy with as well :)
Hermaphrodite Jesus, he hides in the carport.  The neighbour car headlights shine on him, he's scared.
He stoops and he cowers, they call a policeman, they came and they siezed him, and laughed at his hair.
That's why every time he sees the man, he says "Hey let's beat it, it's the fuzz"

Offline Aimless

Wow...
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2005, 12:02:59 pm »
Guild Wars is a bit too shady for me, especially with the alternative revenue generating schemes they may cook up.

There won't be any alternative revenue schemes. They'll release expansion-packs about once every six months, each with about as much content as the initial release (PvE-wise), including new professions etc, but buying them won't be required for a player to remain competitive. And there will be the possibility of playing the new content when partying with those that have it.

Given the amazing job they've done of balancing the six professions currently in the game, I think they can definitely pull that off :)

The thought of paying only for server-operation costs for a crappy game doesn't appeal to me, but i'll be happy to pay for that much new content every six months or so :)

I encourage every single casual gamer here that has any complaints about traditional MMORPGs to at least check GW out. You in particular, Thin ;)

So far A.net seems to have done an excellent job of addressing these problems.

Yeah, I'm a whore... but I'm happy =)

Offline Iridescence

Wow...
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 05:36:10 pm »
I'm more than happy with paying for EQ2 every month, because it's not a crappy game.  And I'm happy to pay for it because I have consistent service.  I know I'll always get online when I want to, and I know when the servers will be down.  And I know that if I send a CS request, I'll have an answer within a few hours.  I know that I won't have to wait in a queue, and I know that I don't have latency issues, or population issues.  I'm quite happy to pay that little bit every month for that.  

It's really not a lot.  When you think about it, it's $17 a month Aussie dollars.  That's less than you pay for a couple of movie tickets, or a case of beer, or a pizza.  Renting a couple of dvd's and getting a takeaway curry costs more.  Buying new x-box games every month because you chew them up so fast costs more.  I really don't see why the monthly cost is such a big issue.

Offline Star

Wow...
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2005, 05:51:37 pm »
I haven't seriously gamed in well over 6 months now. I'll pop into EQ on the odd occasion, but it doesn't hold my interest the way it used to. I'm with Thomas on this one, it really is the best MMORPG out there. I've tried COH and WOW and glanced at EQ2, but they seem faint in comparision to EQ. I started playing in 2001 and it can still hold my attention longer than any other MMORPG out there. I still enjoy learning new encounters, but when my guild gained access to Time, it was sort of the pinacle of my gaming experience. Personally, I'm more into the social aspect of gaming and now that the majority of my friends are either more advanced than I am or out of the gaming loop, I've no reason to log in night after night. One of my fondest memories was a night Cait and I stayed up until 7am camping a peice for my original epic. We were so silly and giddy by the time the damn thing actuall spawned we nearly missed it! WOW and COH never offered anything like that.

I'd love to find a game that I could really get lost in for a while. Perhaps it would keep me out of trouble :)
I hope last night doesn't wake up this morning and tell tomorrow what I've done

Offline rille

Wow...
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 06:01:46 pm »
When you think about it, it's $17 a month Aussie dollars.  That's less than you pay for a couple of movie tickets, or a case of beer, or a pizza.  Renting a couple of dvd's and getting a takeaway curry costs more.  Buying new x-box games every month because you chew them up so fast costs more.  I really don't see why the monthly cost is such a big issue.

If it wasn't such a big deal then why would they care about it  :mrgreen:
(Just being a smart ass) No, it's not a big deal... it's actually cheaper than going out to watch a movie in my country and it last a month while the movie last about two hours... Renting 3 DVDs cost more

Nothing compares to a new game...  ;)

Offline Sassy

Wow...
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 06:28:27 pm »
OKay, this is kind of addressing Iri and Star and Pheonix...

You can't expect a new MMORPG to be the same as one that's existed for 6 years. EQ had all that time to add new content and tweak the game. That same thing is happening in WoW. They add new content, guilds are starting to be established (so you can establish relationships with people), and the game will mature over time.

The two biggest problems with EQ2 are:
1. you need a super computer to run it. sure, it has great graphics, but who cares if i can't even run the damn thing?
2. the tradeskilling is tedious and too involved (and tradeskilling is the most important to me)

I love soloing and being able to talk to people at the same time. I love being able to join up in a group to fight one MOB and then take off without feeling obligated that I have to be their friend forever now.

I also love that I can play the game for an hour or two and actually do something and have some fun - unlike EQ which took serious time commitment.

(p.s. as for cost, i play at least a couple hours a week. so really it's about $2 an hour at the most. I pay $8 to go to a 1.5 hour movie about twice a week. To me the $15 I pay a month is just the same as the $16 or so I spend on movies.)