Author Topic: Shocking discovery!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline marco

• http://marcootje73.spaces.msn.com
Shocking discovery!
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
all this has me convinced. i'm going to start believing; in myself that is!

but i must admit, i've been to these discussions before and never has anyone given me a good reason to believe in anything but myself and others just for what we are and not what we are supposed to be. like the cattle of the lord.
...and cover

Offline Soma

Shocking discovery!
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 07:26:07 AM »
*exasperated*  Frankly, I really don't understand why the concept of faith is so hard to understand.  I may not have it myself, but Jesus H (heh), it's not rocket science.  If you really have THAT much trouble understanding why intelligent people believe in a deity, then you never will understand, no matter how many people explain it to you.

i can understand why people can be open to the possibility of a higher being, there is a lot about the universe that we don't and maybe never will understand... its subscribing to a specific religion that i don't really get, i want to feel like i belong to something and want to feel loved an all that but i don't think i will ever be so desperate as to force myself to believe in the bible, or show up at church every sunday

most religions seem to say life is basically an audition to get into heaven... sounds like a nice way to suck out any of the meaning you might have given to your life to me
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Offline Thin

Shocking discovery!
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005, 08:02:43 AM »
Explain why having a faith sucks the meaning out of life.

Offline Soma

Shocking discovery!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005, 11:44:31 AM »
okay maybe that was a little harsh, i just mean that many religions seem to say that this life is secondary to a supposed afterlife... that this life is just a short stint where we must behave ourselves in order to end up in a heaven that may or may not exist

just makes it seem like this life is just something we have to endure, rather than something we should enjoy
Pimps don't commit suicide!

Offline Nasojiti

Shocking discovery!
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 12:05:28 PM »
It could have something to do with the periods in which the religions gain ascendency... There wasn't exactly a lot of "happiness" going around so relating suffering and its ilk as necessary to get into heaven kind of makes sense.
It is believed Stalin is directly responsible for personally shooting, cooking and consuming as many as 230 million Soviet people.

Offline marco

• http://marcootje73.spaces.msn.com
Shocking discovery!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005, 10:48:29 PM »
it's also a good way to keep the peeps down.
...and cover