Author Topic: Ahhhhh  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Hipper Than Jesus
  • Come to the dark side. We have cookies!
    • http://www.almightytallest.com
Ahhhhh
« on: November 30, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
Character creation, always a fun way to spend an evening.  First session of actual gameplay in the campaign is next Tuesday.  This is going to be much fun.

I love the sound of dice in the evening; sounds like.... victory.
I remember that it rained for years / And the blood, it left a stain

Offline Rel

Ahhhhh
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:38:18 AM »
What game, man, what game?
"You've just had a heavy session of electro-shock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks. All those childhood traumas, magically wiped away - along with most of your personality."

Offline Hunchback

• An Elf In Mordor
Ahhhhh
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:27:43 PM »
D&D i guess.

D&D is the best game you can play, really :)
We just started a new session with my friends, using d20 modern, for a change. We'll see how it goes :)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Offline Star

Ahhhhh
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:25:27 PM »
My D&D group is currently full of drama. Our last session ended with Callie yelling at Bryan for being a Rule Nazi and anti-social. Oh the drama! I'm not sure if we're going to continue playing, which sucks because we've been working on this current campaign to stop the Shadow Lord from taking over our world for over 2 years now. Its really kind of pathetic if you ask me.

But yes, D&D is the best game. However, I've also been known to enjoy White Wolf and a modern day campaign using the GURPs system as well :D Shadow Run blows though.
I hope last night doesn't wake up this morning and tell tomorrow what I've done

Offline Deus

Ahhhhh
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 02:16:56 PM »
Shadow Run had its good moments when I played it. You really need a group of cyberpunk fans together though, else people will get really bored with it...

D&D is great for the action adventure style of play. For the mystery/horror stuff I like the World of Darkness by White Wolf better. I'm currently preparing a Werewolf the Forsaken campaign, which is going to rock like a big stone....
Hong's 1st law:  "It's only the other people who are munchkins"
Hong's 2nd law: "Thinking too hard about fantasy is bad"
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline GrimReaper of Wrestling

• http://www.myspace.com/marcel1973
Ahhhhh
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 07:12:49 PM »
I guess I should be afraid now  :twisted:  :twisted:
Oh God I am the american dream
I do not think Im too extreme
An I'm a handsome sonofabitch
I'm gonna get a good job 'n be real rich

Offline Cthulhu

• Hipper Than Jesus
  • Come to the dark side. We have cookies!
    • http://www.almightytallest.com
Ahhhhh
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:14:23 PM »
D&D it is, yes.  Been trying to get a group together for about two years now.  Finally managed to get a couple of guys at work to play.  

Campaign is going to be awesome.  Civil war in Tethyr, spurred on by two Calimshite Pashas, who are in turn being directed by a Drow city who has just rediscovered a surface exit on Evermeet.  Nelathese pirates are aiding the Pashas, as they all want a slice of the Maztican trade pie.  The Drow care nothing for trade, of course, and only want to create enough havoc on the surface that the elves from Evermeet enter the fray, so that the Drow can invade.
I remember that it rained for years / And the blood, it left a stain

Offline Rel

Ahhhhh
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
Hey, some of those names actually ring some bells. Maztica...I recall reading a series of books called the Maztica Trilogy 15 years ago or something. Quite liked them at the time, but they're pretty dire in hindsight. :)
I ran a dwarf character in the (unrelated) Warhammer FRPG system who I named for a dwarf called Daggrande who figured quite prominently in the Maztica books. Ancient history. :)
"You've just had a heavy session of electro-shock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks. All those childhood traumas, magically wiped away - along with most of your personality."

Offline Iridescence

Ahhhhh
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 01:21:49 AM »
Vampire: The Masquerade is where it's at for me, or was until recently when my GM I think ran out of steam.  Anyhoo, D&D is way too number heavy for my liking.
Hermaphrodite Jesus, he hides in the carport.  The neighbour car headlights shine on him, he's scared.
He stoops and he cowers, they call a policeman, they came and they siezed him, and laughed at his hair.
And Jesus hates policemen, for their hearts can know no love.
That's why every time he sees the man, he says "Hey let's beat it, it's the fuzz"

Offline Deus

Ahhhhh
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 04:41:35 AM »
Iri, you should give the new World of Darkness a try. It's much more streamlined, has no annoying metaplot, and is much more crossover friendly. Also it gives you the possibility to play as mortals, which is -I can assure you- a whole lot of fun...

The new Vampire (the Requiem) is much more focused on a personal level than Masquerade. It's not all about Gehenna and the antediluvians. It's about you, your rack and yoru little group of vampires trying to make a living in your little piece of the city.
It's the general direction of the new WoD. More personal horror, instead of world shattering happenings. Personally I adore it. Haven't seen a system this focused on personal roleplaying in just about... ever...
And I have played my share of pen and paper rpg's...
Hong's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently widespread magic is indistinguishable from technology"

Offline Kat

Ahhhhh
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 04:56:45 AM »
Playing as a mortal rocks.  :D  I like being helpless and oblivious prey.  ;)
"If those 40 million babies had lived, there wouldn’t be so many jobs for illegals to steal from Americans!"   -www.fstdt.com

Offline mahiro

Ahhhhh
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 05:47:34 AM »
My game group uses the point/buy system.  

In our current campaign, the story goal of our present characters is to defeat our previous bunch of characters.   :shock:
I can run faster scared than you can angry.

Offline Silas

Ahhhhh
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 07:16:19 AM »
My group's on a bit of a post-campaign break right now, and the other GM and I are a bit divided on what to do next. We did a throwaway character game of 4th Edition Shadowrun, and the results were mixed.

I'm thinking we'll end up doing another 3rd edition campaign, and since some folks have been talking of the good ol' days and they're wanting a magic based campaign I'll end up having to run them through Bug City or something similar. I've given the co-GM advance warning that if we don't split up the GM duties better this time, I'll run them through Harlequin's 'oh god, we're all gonna die' Back out of spite.

Is it a crime to want to at least play on the other side of the screen once in a while?  :twisted:

Traditionally, my co-GM and I have used our past characters in cameo appearances or as contacts, so depending on which point in the timeline we start off at, we've got a few good ideas that we can work with.

Offline Charon

Ahhhhh
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 05:57:18 AM »
i really miss gaming.  when i was in high school i ran a Vampire game for a good year and a half before i left for college.  

and Silas, after awhile of being behind the screen, i always wanted to play a character and be a helpless stooge.  helps recharge the batteries.
When the only tool you have is a shotgun, all of your problems start to look alot like zombies

Offline Deus

Ahhhhh
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 07:20:25 AM »
Our group plays two games at the same time, alternating DM each week, which allows them to get to play as well as run a game. We've found it helps a lot to keep the creative juices flowing longer...

Offline Silas

Ahhhhh
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 02:07:19 AM »
The plan with my group was to avoid doing anything too long or complicated, as we figured even if we met three times in two weeks, we'd be able to finish a particular run. With anywhere from 4-6 people showing up, my co-GM and I figured that even with a run that took longer, the week or so either one of us had off we'd have enough time to recharge our creative batteries.

It worked out well enough when we started, we were lucky enough to get a fair number of plot hooks out of several well thought out character backgrounds, and for a few months we were able to work off of a rough outline. For the most part, we were able to go into sessions with a general idea of what the particular run was going to be. Having a rather large number of generic NPC's with vaugely defined stats helped out quite a bit in that regard.

It was probably a mistake to run through several sourcebook adventures, but we all had quite a bit of fun. The rest of the group thought I was doing a better job of GMing than I thought I was doing, so my partner gave me all of his notes and ideas he had for the rest of the campaign and I ended up finishing it off.

Fortunately, I talked to a few of the guys in my group yesterday, and we're going to do two seperate campaigns - one being a group of older, beat up runners (the has beens), and the other a group of gangers (the never will bees). I'm GMing the ganger campaign, and I've got a rough idea for a down on his luck veteran. It ought to be fun.

Offline mahiro

Ahhhhh
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 02:25:02 AM »
hmmm...  maybe we should do a gaming report after every session.
I can run faster scared than you can angry.